Logo

Marine Vortec heads

floater1

Regular Contributor
"I found a set of "marine&

"I found a set of "marine" Vortec heads for sale. Vortec heads could be a nice upgrade on a stock 305, obviously you'd need the proper intake manifold to go with the new heads. But what exactly is the difference between "marine" Vortec heads and regular automotive Vortecs? The seller said he doesn't know, except they came off a 305 boat engine and they are in great shape."

No difference between marine a

No difference between marine and regular vortec heads. There is a difference between 305 and 350 heads. What induction system is on your stock 305? Throttle body fuel injection does not like modifications. If you changed heads on a throttle body engine you will end up needing to do computer modifications. If it is carbed Edelbrock makes several intakes.

Mine is an older set-up with c

Mine is an older set-up with carb. It just kind of got me that he kept referring to them as as "marine heads".

"[b]"It just kind of got m

""It just kind of got me that he kept referring to them as as "marine heads"."

Ayuh,... Probably because he doesn't have a Clue,+ callin' 'em Marine automatically makes 'em worth more money...
Especially to the misinformed...."

"It would be important to know

"It would be important to know if they are indeed for a 5.0L.

Note that the 5.7L Vortec head combustion chambers are 64cc.... I am not sure what chamber the 5.0L Vortec is.
If your engine is fitted with flat top pistons, this small chamber will increase the C/R beyond what may be suitable for your usage.
Best to stay with the same casting number IF it was correct in the first place.

Go here, and scroll down into the cylinder head section and you will see casting numbers.
http://www.vehiclecarhistoryreports.com/chevrolet_engine_numbers.html"

"I did this mod on my 4.3L a c

"I did this mod on my 4.3L a couple of years ago using Vortec heads from a Chevy Astro van. The only thing I saw that made my original heads "marine", was brass water jacket plugs vs steel ones in the auto heads. Easy fix.
happy.gif
"

Back