Logo

Bad coil

gofastsandman

"`96 150 O,P.. Lost 700 rpm an

"`96 150 O,P.. Lost 700 rpm and think it may be a coil. Can I remove plug wires one at a time at idle and listen for no drop on a cyl. or will that cause problems w power pac or stator etc.
Cheers,
GFS"

"u can do it,..but doing so,ma

"u can do it,..but doing so,may knock ur socks off if not careful,...i suggest trying a basic spark test first.w/all plugs removed...if it stops cranking,..starter keeps disc,..put in a plug or 2 and try again."

"Checking spark..... Best to r

"Checking spark..... Best to remove all plugs and hook up a spark tester. At cranking speed, spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! No tester? Build this one.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

First thing you should do however is to take a compression test of all cylinders. What are the individual readings?

It's been over a month since the last post/reply. What have you found Sandy?

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back