Logo

Spun prop

dcso

Contributing Member
"now that the boat is out of t

"now that the boat is out of the water how can I check for a spun prop?, its a volvo aq225 with a 275 drive. at around 3000rpm I was only getting about 10 miles an hour, the prop does have some pretty good dings in it
thanks
ted"

"Ted,
if your prop is deforme

"Ted,
if your prop is deformed you will want it rebuilt. Running it with "pretty good dings" will produce bigger issues. Could it be deformed to the point of feeling like its slipping?"

i don't think so. i was wo

i don't think so. i was wondering if i could spin it no that it's below 25 degrees could i tell?

"Ted, remove the prop and make

"Ted, remove the prop and make a mark on both the hub and the prop body adjacent to one another!
Re-install and run it to the point at which you think it is slipping.
Remove and look at the marks.
If the indexing has changed, you have a hub that is slipping!
And yes..... a poorly tune propeller can and will act as though it is slipping at the hub!
Sometimes it does not take much!

."

"Ricardo,
if it actually brok

"Ricardo,
if it actually broke the rubber bond between the hub and spline should I be able to turn it by hand? if not looks like i need to invest in a new prop.
thanks
ted"

"No..... you'd not necessa

"No..... you'd not necessarily be able to simulate a spun hub by hand!
If the prop is OK, a prop shop can replace the hub for you, and tune the prop at the same time.

Mark the hub and main body like suggested. Then try it. See if the marks remain aligned or not!
."

"Ted, if I may; Part of the b

"Ted, if I may; Part of the beauty of using the P of E (process of elimination) by examining one item only at a time, is that we become better equipped to diagnose and/or fix a problem in the future!
What I'm saying is;
We can throw enough parts and money at most any mechanical problem and eventually solve the issue! However, knowing exactly what the cause was, is invaluable. It will allow us to be much more proficient at trouble shooting should there be a next time!
There are exceptions.... ignition issues, for example. It may not be a bad idea to simply throw ignition parts at an engine. But in other areas, it may prove to be expensive!

If for some reason this hub is NOT spun, you will then move onto, or in, another direction!
*Prop blade damage!
*Sliding sleeve and cup issues!
*Incorrect gear oil!

I too would suspect that the hub is spun....., but I'd still recommend that you mark the prop and give it a try.... make sure that the blades are OK.
If bad, have it repaired and keep O/B for your spare!

Just my two cents!"

"errr.... "now that the bo

"errr.... "now that the boat is out of the water "
If prop has dings, then its due for a trip to the prop shop anyway...They can check to see if its spun."

"Robert, that takes the fun ou

"Robert, that takes the fun out of it!
biggrin.gif
"

thanks guys
you guys are gre

thanks guys
you guys are great ! the prop oil is 30wt and brand new but i believe your right in getting the prop repaired reguardless
any suggestions where i could send it?
ted

Back