Logo

350 Vs 350 Mag

agitator

Contributing Member
Is there a simple answer to th

Is there a simple answer to the question: What's the difference between a std 350 and a 350 mag?

the ONLY differnce is the inta

the ONLY differnce is the intake manifold and the flame arrestor.

Depends on the year. I went fr

Depends on the year. I went from a 1994 350 (235hp) to a 2006 Mercruiser 350 mag (300hp). The 1994 was 4200-4600 wot and the 2006 mag is up to 5000 wot. The 2006 mag motor is also a vortec (roller cam/lifters) which seems to have much more torque. Not sure if all year mags are vortec. I highly recommend going from a tired 235hp to a 300hp torquey motor. Differance in performance is nite and day.

"If I am not mistaken (and

"If I am not mistaken (and I could be) back a few years ago bfore EFI, TBI, when only carbs were used and the standard or vortec small block was used the standard rating for the 350 was 260hp.

the 350 mag that was offered was 270-280 hp.

I researched the differences back then to find out what they were specifically.

The only differences were, a slightly higher plenum intake manifold and the high flow ( twice as thick) flame arrestor.

Although I have not seen a 2006 small block I guess my question would be, is it the same motor or is it a LS motor???? If it is the same as you say "vortec" it is probably due to better camshafts and better compression. They made some good improvements since the early to mid '90's

Also the jump to 5000 rpms will also give you a increase in power. Most small blocks red line at 5500 and typically are cammed for such so there is no dought that is also a contributor to the higher numbers.......

The LS motors are much higher HP then the old 350 SB."

"The newer models, with the in

"The newer models, with the introduction of fuel injection, show the same internals, the primary difference being MPI on the MAG versions with TBI on the basic 260hp versions. The MCM flavors are all rated at 4800 max WOT; the MIE flavors do show a difference in WOT....makes me wonder about the 'magic' used in the hp rating."

"Help me to understand? I hav

"Help me to understand? I have a 1999 5.7L or 350 small block - carbed. It came from the factory with 250HP. If I'm reading this thread correctly, it sounds like I'll get 300HP by changing the intake manifold (carb) and arrestor. I thought the Mag engine was MPI which would be an entirely different version, to include cam, compression, etc.... changes."

If you have a low rise iron in

If you have a low rise iron intake and switch to a hi-rise aluminum intake you will typically gain 15hp.

"Just looked in my shop manual

"Just looked in my shop manual. In 1994 there were 4 350 models avail. 1- rated at 235hp and came with an alpha 1, 2- rated at 250hp and came with a bravo 2 with 2.2:1 ratio, 3- also 250hp but with a bravo 3 and 2.0:1, and 4- a 350 magnum rated at the same 250hp with a alpha 1 (that seems odd)

in the same year the regular 454's are rated 300hp but the 454 magnum is rated 350hp"

"Cause THEY WERE THE SAME YEAR

"Cause THEY WERE THE SAME YEAR SERIES MOTORS.

Yes with fi you will see a increase in hp. Yes with mpi you will see a increase with hp.

Do you see a increase with torque?

Interesting question and can be debated and has been debated on other websites also.

As to the 454 it's more hp and torque. And we are still talking naturally aspirated engines.
Me i am happy doing my 20-30 on the water with my baby 140 hp- 3.0.

Great on gas one mani, one riser, no y pipes."

question about the oil pan it

question about the oil pan it a large capacity?

And if yes why?

Bye chance they install a high volume oil pump?

And if yes? Why?

And if yes you think thats gonna put undo stress on the dist. cam?

Do you think that will lead to prmaature failure of the cam gear?

Just wondering is all.

Nice build what else they do to the cylinder walls. Overbored?

"Well, I dont know exact numbe

"Well, I dont know exact numbers but I know the theory a bit. they need the larger cap oil pan as some of the oil cools the turbo, but with the addition of the high volume oil pump there's less in the pan, now add high RPMS, that means even less being more is moved out of the pan in a given period, and it takes time for the oil to return(so you need more capacity till the oil returns) which is why people massage oil returns on high perf engines.

I dont think a high volume will put much stress on the cam gear, I think it will depend on the pressure and releif valve.

One of the pictures of the block shows them boring, being an aged block, I'm sure they went to .030 at least.

Goes to show you how much HP a 2 bolt can take (with a little help)"

"Check out the car link to see

"Check out the car link to see the turbo, 2nd pic, just in front of the red waste gate (keeps it from putting to much pressure into the intake)

http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/studebaker.html

what I dont know is how they are triggering the ignition, must be using an HEI dist, and running wires to the box on the left inside fender ( notice the 6 blue wires)"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
335237.jpg
"

"sorry guys.. shoulda started

"sorry guys.. shoulda started our own thread... drool.. drool..

Ok.. last one.. check out this dual inline 6 cig boat..

335242.jpg
cig

when it comes to the 350 engin

when it comes to the 350 engines the only difference between the years is the addition of the bosses in the lifter galley to bolt down the retainer bracket for the roller lifters. the block and head design have went unchanged seince the engine came out back in the 60's or 70's. the horse power differences come from the fuel system and cam changes throughout the years. alot of new tech has went into cams in the 30 years or so.

"[b]"when it comes to the

""when it comes to the 350 engines the only difference between the years is the addition of the bosses in the lifter galley to bolt down the retainer bracket for the roller lifters. the block and head design have went unchanged seince the engine came out back in the 60's or 70's."

Ayuh,... Sorry, that's False...

The 350 was Intro'ed in 68/69,...
In I believe 79 the dipstick was moved to the right side of the block...
In 87, the Block was changed to the 1 piece rear main seal...
Along the same time, the bosses for roller cams were added...
In 96, the Fast Burn, Vortec Heads were Intro'ed...
And, Somewhere along the 90s, the mechanical fuel pump boss was deleted....

Sooo,... There's been quite a few Changes, although most are Adaptable to other Vintages...."

none of the changes with the e

none of the changes with the exception of the vortec head in 96 would not have increasded the horse power.

Back