Logo

Freeing Up Siezed Motor Secrets

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
I know there has been a lot of

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this but my Search is not turning up much. I'd like to solicit all of your tips on freeing up a siezed outboard motor so I can save them.
Bill

"Bill
Everybody has their own

"Bill
Everybody has their own way of doing this. So
you should get a bunch of responces.
My chemical of choice is Kroil penetrating oil.
http://www.kanolabs.com/
Whatever you use is up to you.

Set your motor up so the spark plug holes are
up. Remove plugs and pour enough penetrant in to
partially fill cylinders. put plugs back in.
Now the hard part, WAIT. Patience is your freind!
Every couple days,Grab the flywheel with your hands and try to turn it. Never use a wrench or any thing to force it.

Give it time and it will work.

Steve A W"

"Use a hose from a compression

"Use a hose from a compression gauge and an air compressor to force the solvent into the rusted areas and to create a non damaging downward force of 600 pounds on a 3 inch piston...see illustration...
334324.jpg
"

"I didn't think they made

"I didn't think they made kroil anymore? But i will say that it is one of the better penetrating oils. Sorry i have no advice, but thought it was interesting..."

"Set your motor up so the

"Set your motor up so the spark plug holes are
up. Remove plugs and pour enough penetrant in to
partially fill cylinders."

"Use a hose from a compression gauge and an air compressor to force the solvent into the rusted areas and to create a non damaging downward force of 600 pounds on a 3 inch piston"

Sounds great provided the exhaust ports are closed.

"Now eaven if you are seccessf

"Now eaven if you are seccessfull in freeing up that engine, you still run the risk of having no compression correct?"

"Yes,
Stuck rings, scorced cy

"Yes,
Stuck rings, scorced cylinders, rusty or scored bearing journals on crankshaft, etc. All are very likely. I want to free mine up so I can dissassemble the motor. Hoping to get away with honing the cylinder and replacing the rings. The condition of the cylinder and piston will determine which way I have to go.
Bill"

"if you plan on taking it apar

"if you plan on taking it apart start with the heads,it could help speed things up a bit.
it depends on how long long its been stuck,
plan on frozen rings and badly pitted roller bearings.good luck
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back