Logo

Determing motor

mschwartz

"Hi I asked this before on her

"Hi I asked this before on here and i got great info. But the decal is missing of of my engine. I know the outdrive is a 280. But how can I determine the difference in the motor? I think its aq 280 motor, but how can I tell the difference btween aq 255a/b aq260 and aq280. They all are mated with an 280 outdrive. They all have the same characteristics. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks mike"

"Mike, it can get confusing.

"Mike, it can get confusing.
On the older packages, the AQ # is usually an identification of the engine, then the following number represents the out drive.
AQ 260A 280 would mean a 5.7L 260 horse power, Volvo 280 out drive.
I am not aware of an AQ 280 engine!"

"Ricardo, according to VP ther

"Ricardo, according to VP there was an AQ280A package in production during the years 1978-1979. Check this

http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/ViewFileFrame.aspx?n=180691&r=2007-02-02-13-20-00&t=PDF1P&a=7774221&p=T416&d=ProductBulletins&s=475907&lang=en-GB

Mike, check for a brass plate riveted to the engine block, just above the starter. It should have engraved the AQ package the engine belongs to. Regarding the differences with other AQ packages with the same engine block, they are usually related to carb specs and WOT RPM.

334249.jpg
"

The boat this engine package i

The boat this engine package is in is a 1979 grady white. Which is the same year as the aq280. The name plate is missing of of the motor. Above the starter. I Have it down to those aq models. I just was trying to get an eaxct model for parts. It looks like most of the parts are the same for those models.Am I correct in that assumption. I have had the motor out and it is a two bolt main. How can I safely check wide open throttle os what can I look for with the carb. to try to determine engine type. Thanks mike

"Well I'll Be Darned! My t

"Well I'll Be Darned! My tail is dragging behind me!
Thanks, Mr. El P!
After I posted last night, I had the thought that there may have been an AQ 280 engine. I may have even remembered having seen or read about it.

Mike, to add to the confusion, Volvo listed the drive as a 280B.......
The "B" (in this case), represents the V-8 ratio as there would have been a number on the transmission such as this:
PZNR28XXXXX B (V-8)
PZNR28XXXXX C (6 cylinder engine)
PZNR28XXXXX D (4 cylinder engine)
(the only actual ratio difference is in the lower unit.... but the code was on the transmission "pznr" tag!)

Mike, as for your comment; that is a very safe assumption for the most part.
One of the beauties of Volvo Penta in this series is the interchangeability that they offer.

Let me ask you this..... what are your main concerns?
Rather than fret over this, I'd say that between myself, Morten, El P and a few others, we could just about tell you which parts will interchange and with no issues.

Mike, in some circles I'm known as the Volvo Penta Primary Drive Shaft Bearing NAZI...... so please, while you have the engine out, <font color=""ff0000""> <font size=""+1""> replace your PDS bearings/seals!</font> </font>
They are inexpensive to purchase via a major bearing supplier.... they need not come from Volvo Penta.

."

"I actually had a 290/280PT in

"I actually had a 290/280PT installed in a Coronet 22 back in the late 70's when I was working at Penta, Sweden.
Had it propped up to 5200RPM, but ran it on 98 leaded fuel timed at 12BTDC!
The first one lasted 5 minutes, GM had installed the con-rods 'back-to-back'!
The second one ran like a champ for the 2 yrs I was driving it. Close to 45 knots."

"Mike, it could also be an AQ2

"Mike, it could also be an AQ290A/280B, as VP produced that package from 1979 to 1985. Check this

http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/ViewFileFrame.aspx?n=180692&r=2007-02-02-13-2 0-00&t=PDF1P&a=7775640&p=T416&d=ProductBulletins&s=483549&lang=en-GB

To me, this is virtually the same package as the AQ280A/280B.

I strongly suspect that the major differences between the AQ255-AQ260 and the AQ280-AQ290 lay in the WOT RPM, which went from 4400 in the AQ255-AQ260 to 4700-5200 in the AQ280-AQ290 in order to squeeze out a few more HP. They probably achieved this with a different carb kit. If you look at the VP parts list between say the AQ260

http://www.volvopentastore.com/AQ260A/dm/cart_id.582772340--session_id.924079106 --store_id.366--view_id.342852

and the AQ290

http://www.volvopentastore.com/AQ290/dm/cart_id.582772340--session_id.924079106- -store_id.366--view_id.342818

you will see that both have a Rochester Quadrajet carb but the carb numbers are different."

Thanks guys!! The carb is a ro

Thanks guys!! The carb is a rochester quadrajet 4 bbl rebuilt last winter. Im glad to know that the parts for the most are interchangeable. Ricardo the pds bearing and seal are they in the out drive or the motor? May sound like a dumb question? The reason I ask is that I plastic gaged the bearings on the motor and they have less than a thousandth of wear on both bearings. Installed new seals at that time.

El i wrote down both carb numb

El i wrote down both carb numbers from the links you sent. Ill compare them to what is on the motor. Its raining now. Hopefully it lets up soon. I ll let you know what I find out thanks again

"PDS = Primary Drive Shaft.

"PDS = Primary Drive Shaft.
The PDS is a shaft that joins the engine flywheel mounted Borg Warner "drive coupler" to the FWD female yoke of the transmission universal drive shaft.
Yours will be supported by two bearings within the "Flywheel Cover" (bell housing in the automotive world).

These two bearings often get over-looked and do not get lubricated...... and they eventually fail.
When (not if) they fail, the damage can be severe!

Mike, I don't mean to sound gruff here, but if you are not using any OEM schematics for this, you should be!
I'd encourage you to down-load the Volvo Penta manual for this or similar engine.
Or, follow the links that El P posted...... they will/should also lead you to other areas for what you may need to be looking at.
It would best help US to help YOU if you were to familiarize yourself with the components first.

The good/great news is..... these are among the best and well engineered drives that you could want....... it gets even better at the "C" series.
They are also among the easiest to service and work on..... even for the novice.

You will do fine, just ask if you need help.

."

I have determined by the carb

I have determined by the carb that its an aq260 thanks for all your help. Ricardo I will change those bearings aswell I have been greasing them twice a year though since I bought the boat. It is a good idea to change them when I have the motor out Thanks for the good information

"Good, glad to hear that and y

"Good, glad to hear that and you are welcome.

One of the problems even if someone has changed them, is;
(A) the type of bearing they used (open or sealed)
and;
(B) whether or not they pre-filled the grease cavity.

No amount of future grease will do any good for a sealed bearing, and if the cavity had not been pre-filled, you have an issue getting grease to and into the ball cage.

FYI, you want the good stuff, not green marine grease on this. Best to use a good high pressure bearing grease!

BTW, I always grease these with the engine running at idle...... (it does an exchange of grease dynamically vs statically).

."

Back