Logo

Volvo penta 280 tilt mechanism

mschwartz

When starting my motor at the

When starting my motor at the boat ramp the drive sliped into reverse. My drive was still tilted up when relizing this I imediatly hit the shifter into nuetral. TheIi lower the stern drive. My problem is now I cannot tilt my stern drive back up. I did an quick test at the electric motor and there is no power. I had some one moving the switch on the dash. I am at a lose now on what to check next. Any help would be great thanks in advance mike

"Going exclusively by your des

"Going exclusively by your description, these two issues are unrelated.
A drive kicking up in reverse is certainly not good.... but it fell back down under it's own weight, correct?
Point being, doubt that you bent the "vice rod".

The motor now not working would appear to be an electrical issue unrelated to the kicking up in reverse.

Check for power at the helm switch, (this power is independant of the power at the lift unit)
Check for power at the lift unit, (this power is a heavier circuit and is independant of the power at the helm switch)

You'll need to do some circuitry tests because it could be a power issue, relay issues, continuity issue or a micro switch issue.

/"

I did test at the helm switch

I did test at the helm switch had power when the switch was engaged in the up and down postition the two leads going to the motor from the mechanisms box had no power when tilt switch is activated in either position. Is there something in the box on the mechanism that could be the issue. Thanks

"Ok, in all of these systems,

"Ok, in all of these systems, the helm switch harness will have a connection at/near the transom on the inside. It will have a black plastic cover over it.
Pull this harness connection apart and clean the contacts.
Then as you have a helper operate the helm switch, test the Brown and Blue leads for power at the lift unit (taking a separate side of your tester to a known-to-be-good ground source).

The Yellow is a ground coming back from the micro switch that completes the "Amber Light" circuit (if so equipped).

You may simply have a continuity issue in this harness connection.

."

thanks Ill try that tomorrow a

thanks Ill try that tomorrow after work. Is there a solution to use to clean the conectors or would rubbing alchol Be ok. thanks mike

Ricardo Today I cleaned all th

Ricardo Today I cleaned all the wire terminals. And reconnected. Then while some on worked the control I checked the brown wire at the motor. When the control switch was up and down it would light up. When I tried the black wire nothing would happen. This was with moving the switch in both directions. There was a good ground at all timews. I grounded to the battery. Then I ran leads from the battery positve to the brown and negative to the black on the electric tilt motor. The motor operated and raised the outdrive. By reversing the leads at the battery I can lower the outdrive. Is there anything in the brown electric box above the electric motor that could be the issue thanks mike

Back