Logo

100Hour Service what to do

"I would like to know what are

"I would like to know what are the critical jobs to perform on a 100-Hour service. I have a carbed 5.7. Last year I paid $800 for that service and for such high price, I want to make sure I tell my mechanic what I want him to do. I am planning to use a different mechanic than last year.
It's so hard to find one you can trust.
Thanks in advance"

"Here is the 100-hour schedule

"Here is the 100-hour schedule for my 350 (ex-AQ311):

* Change oil and filter.
* Lubricate primary shaft and steering shaft journals.
* Check the spark plugs, and replaced if worn or defective.
* Change the oil in the drive (this is normally done every 200 hours, but you may as well do it as part of the 100 hours service)
* Check condition and tensioning of v-belt.
* Check ignition timing.
* Adjust carburetor and lubricate linkages. Clean flame arrestor.
* Clean carburetor fuel filter.
* Renew main fuel filter (usually of water separating type).
* Check the cooling system. Open raw water pump and check impeller. Check thermostat (raw water cooled engine) once a year and replace if defective.
* Check condition of electrical system (battery terminals, connections, reset button, etc).

You should be able to download the manual for your engine from here:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/"

"Thanks so much for the info.

"Thanks so much for the info.
How about the outdrive? Aren't they supposed to check it also? I remember my mechanic last year took off the prop and greased it. I am not sure if that was all he did. I can do that, but I wonder if they are other important parts to check for the outdrive.
Thanks"

"Removing the propeller and gr

"Removing the propeller and greasing the spline with water-based grease (for example, Special Lubricant 101 from Quicksilver) is a good practice at the end of the season. Also, if you have a 270, 275, 280, 290, etc outdrive you should remove the shift cover to inspect, clean and grease the linkages. Also, checking the condition of the steering helmet and bolts is important, as well as checking the condition of the bellows and raw water hose. And most important, pay attention to the condition of the dreaded raw water hose connector in the outdrive, for if it becomes perforated due to corrosion the pump will suck air and the engine will overheat."

Back