Logo

Stainless steel diesel tanks

K

Kim Boehm

" Has anyone heard of or have

" Has anyone heard of or have proof of the rumor that using stainless steel tanks for diesel can promote algae growth? I have an all aluminum work boat and was told the alum tanks are OK, but never use stainless steel. I live in the Northeast and could temp have something to do with it. Any written articles you could refer me to would be helpful. Thanks, Kim PS I have a twenty dollar bill riding on this one, so please help!!! "

" As a 33 year welder, allow m

" As a 33 year welder, allow me to comment. Stainless steel develops something called crevice creep. It occurs from the loss of chromium during the welding process. The chrome combines with carbon and eventually allows small cracks that look like spider webs to develop. Use aluminum or monel tanks. Stainless and diesel is a definite no-no. "

"I am replacing the head gaske

"I am replacing the head gasket on an Isuzu QD60(C240) engine. When I took the head off the cooling ports(channels)what I think are the cooling channels look like they might plugged. Looking from the front of the engine on the left side, there are four areas in line from front to back between sockets for the head bolts and adjacent to each cylinder on the block that are discolored looking like wet rust but very hard.These areas also match up with the head itself containing coolant. Are these indeed cooling channels if they are what is the best way to unplug them?"

Back