Logo

Chrysler Marine 440 CI 330 HP

that link is to a long block .

that link is to a long block ..

only used can you get a complete engine

Buy the long block and pay a mechcanic to

transfer the other Parts

Thanks for the input. I have

Thanks for the input. I have been looking on ebay for acouple of years. A few RH and the only LHs I have seen are part of a pair that they won't split. I am looking to repower an older Century and need the complete engine. A short or long block would work but first I need the complete engine to get the rest of the parts I need for the conversion.

"Well I always wanted to Build

"Well I always wanted to Build an Engine
Try 440source.com for parts or do What I am
doing Converting a reverse rotation (RH)
Motor to standard rotation (LH )
I am only honing my block .. so only about 500
to convert the engine .. I can send you a list if you want a mechanic can do it also.. with out
pulling the Heads .. Camshaft , Starter , Distributor Gear ."

"Thanks George. Great site an

"Thanks George. Great site and I will keep them in mind. Reversing a RH is an option but I still need to get the complete engine first, and would prefer to find a LH. Don’t you have to reverse the pistons and rods to reverse one? How would the piston pins get lubricated if you don’t?"

The Machine shop said as Long

The Machine shop said as Long as all the pistions
are going the same way.. But since I am Honing the
Cylinders I am Reversing Left side pistons with
Right side this way I dont have to remove the pressed in bearings in the pistons and the notches
will face the front of the engine to be Safe ...
and the Ly connecting rods will also be correct
George

"George
Your getting over yo

"George
Your getting over your head. Thier is great satifaction when you do it yourself. If everything turns out ok. If not think how you would feel? Emty no were to turn.
For just about the same money. Pay the rebuilder
They can bore it. all new pistons,tolarance is between .001, and .003 bearings .001,and .003
thay will turn your crank ,and give you a garrentee
Finaly preasure test your manifolds.
you could distroy a new engine with bad ones.
Been thier"

"ALL pistons have to be revers

"ALL pistons have to be reversed in a reverse rotator. Not sure if the rods can go the other way--some designs have an oil squirt hole that lubes the cam. (If so, the pistons wouold have to be reversed on the rods.) You can tell by examining the rod if there is a squirt hole in it.

Jeff"

"The Machine shop said all pis

"The Machine shop said all pistons have to go the same way .. either direction , But I prefer to
have the notch facing front and the rods have no
hole in them but I will also face them in the
Same direction Ly rods y on the outside either
rotation just swap Left side with right side
no removing the piston Pins and Its just a honing
job ... Oil flow is always a concern"

"Please understand this about

"Please understand this about pistons: To reduce piston slap (which happens when the piston starts up the bore), the piston pin is deliberately located about a 1/16 inch off to one side. (It may look centered, but it's not!) Now, if the motor rotates the other way, the piston slap is opposite as well--it whacks the other side of the bore coming up.

So, if the pistons are not reversed, you end up with DOUBLE the offset in the WRONG direction! The result will be a very noisy engine that might blow pistons some day.

Jeff"

Back