Logo

1976 200649S

greenman

"My Son-in-law has had a boat

"My Son-in-law has had a boat w/Evinrude 200649S sitting in uncovered storage for 5 yrs. Brought the boat to the house and everything seems to be in good condition. Looked at the carbs, everything nice and clean, manually opened the throttle, still nice and clean. Is there supposed to be an air filter? Changed plugs and fuel lines. On advice from a good (auto) mechanic wet inside of cylinders w/wd40 and turned motor over manually. ( I can turn flywheel with one hand) On advice from another good mechanic added penetrating oil treatment to cylinders ( Restore brand Engine Restorer and Lubricant) Do I need to do anythig else or can I see if she will fire? What is the fuel/oil ratio?"

"That's a 1976 model so th

"That's a 1976 model so the fuel mix is 50:1

No air filter. Outboards don't get used on dry dusty roads much although some makes fit them.

Personally I would not have used WD 40. Its a water displacing fluid, works well as a penetrating or freeing oil but in reality contains so little oil as such that it is a poor lubricant.

The Engine Restorer is intended as that for restoring worn engines but probably a better lubricant than WD 40.

Would be sensible to check/change the gear case oil.

Some general advice on starting up motors that have been idle for some time HERE

Do not run it unless the lower unit is submerged in water or you have water supplied on muffs. You'll wreck the pump impeller if you do"

Back