Logo

115hp 1996 compression problem

zing

"The number one cylinder in my

"The number one cylinder in my Johnson 115 is only 75psi, the others are all just over 100. Do I pull the head and just get a look around? I don't know what to look for like a stuck ring, how do you tell if it's stuck? I'm comfortable with doing most work on the boat and my cars, with a little help from forums like this where folks who actually know what they're doing give some guidance. If this where I call in the pros or start thinking about a new powerhead?"

"If you're absolutely cert

"If you're absolutely certain about those psi readings, the best thing to do is to remove the cylinder head in order to inspect the head gasket, sealing surfaces of the head and crankcase, the piston, and the cylinder walls.

Hopefully it may simply be a failing head gasket. Let us know what you find.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks Joe,
Could this also

"Thanks Joe,
Could this also be causing my bogging down @3000rpm issue or might they be separate problems? Can I leave the head off overnight, just put some oil soaked rags over the piston and block?
Jim"

"a good spray with some wd 40

"a good spray with some wd 40 is ok,while you are in there look for any scratches or grooves on the cylinder wall.that can also cause performance issues through out the power range.poor idle /take off /lacking top end."

"Remove the cyclinder head and

"Remove the cyclinder head and look for obvious damage...but also remove the transfer port cover and you will see the side of the piston and rings, from here you can check if the rings are seized"

"What is the transfer port ind

"What is the transfer port indicator? I've looked at the online diagrams for my engine J115sxedr and currently only have the seloc manual which isn't very comprehensive. Going to pick up the real manual if this engine isn't toast. Rather than a true head gasket I've got O-rings and need to put RTV around the water passages when reassembling the head.
I'm familiar with the 1/3-2/3-full torque method but should I be letting the RTV sealant set up before going to full torque or will that prevent a good seal on the O-rings?
Based on the Seloc manual which is a bit sketchy since it doesn't always show the 115hp 60degree correctly, I've found much of the time my engine is closer to the V-6 60degree accept of course for the # of cyls. Based on this I'm looking at 20lbs for the head bolts, can anyone verify this?"

"This may be helpful to others

"This may be helpful to others - a trick I learned working on cars. make a template of the gasket/part on a box and use it to hold the bolts so they go back in the same location.
http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae319/zing_photos/?action=view&current=IMGP26 83.jpg"]
url]
[/URL]

Here's a pic of the head
http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae319/zing_photos/?action=view&current=IMGP26 84.jpg"]
url]
[/URL]"

"There are more pics on the al

"There are more pics on the album I think the o-ring on the top cylinder looks a little weak. I cannot seem to see the rings but the oil is pulling forward nicely on both cylinders.
There's also goop, gunk dripping from the prop almost like after running a decarb, which I haven't done in over 6 weeks. Is this normal because of the release of pressure when the head is pulled?

There's some carbon on the tops of the cylinders but I was expecting much worse, this thing looks quite clean to my untrained eye. What do you guys think?"

"It seems to have blown a lot

"It seems to have blown a lot of exhaust gases towards the thermostat, which indicates a blown o-ring on cyl1. The pitting might be from water in cylinder during storage.
I would have re-installed with new O-rings and done a new test. If still low, tear down."

The cylinder is still low afte

The cylinder is still low after a new O-ring. I'm thinking of taking some advice from another board and loading it with seafoam overnight. Tear down is synonymous with E-tec. I just don't know if the engine is worth the expense and time.

Reeds have no effect on compre

Reeds have no effect on compression. Is that just crud on the top of the left piston? In your photo it looks like a crack?

Back