Logo

Evinrude not running the greatest

griz070

"Posted on Wednesday, August 1

"Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
evinrude model number CE60TLCCR.

Just bought the boat and motor at an estate sale.

Was told it has not been run for a couple of years but was stored properly when put away.

Changed the gas can, bulb and hoses along with new plugs before I even turned it over.

First off the outer cover says it is an evinrude 70 VRO however, looking up the model number I see that it is a 3 cyl 60hp. How can I confirm this is a 60 and not a 70. serial number is C7230633. I also mix my gas and cannot even see where an oil tank would be on the motor so I am assuming that VRO is non existant.

Put it on the water and went out to play, first off I noticed idle was too high and after about 15 minutes of full throttle operation engine acted like it lost a cyl. Do not know why. Brought it to the shop and the carb linkages were adjusted and timing was set up ( supposably off)

went back out and cyl dropping out problem was gone but motor does not like to run at slow speeds, idles down like it is running low on fuel then dies, restrting it after this happens is usually difficult.

I was told to rebuild thwe carbs and reset up. I am not really familier with marine mechanics so I thought I would get some opinions.

lastly, I am told that it does not have a choke but a fuel enrichment system which is electrically actuated, The control is on my console coupled with my key, (ignition says push to choke) my question wopuld be if I push and keep pushed does the enrichment system keep pushing fuel into engine or does it operate like a primer, 1 push means 1 pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx
D...."

"(Fuel Primer Solenoid Fun

"(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position. Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pass thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold passageways. Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Some engines incorporates the "Fast Start" feature which automatically advances the spark electronically so no advance of the throttle is required for starting.
Engines that do not have the "Fast Start" feature will be required to have the throttle advanced slightly.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Sitting for that length of time, the carburetors would be fouled, clogged, gummed. Attempting to run the engine with fouled carburetors would result in a lean running engine, improper lubrication, internal powerhead damage.

Remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetors, or have a experienced tecnician do it for you.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back