Logo

Johnson 6 HP Information Required

rgcoll

Having recently acquired an el

Having recently acquired an elderly dinghy (1970 vintage) with a motor of similar age we are trying to find information on it's year of manufacture.The Model No.is J6BFCNR.
Can anyone tell me if there is a source of an instruction/user manual?
It seems to run well enough at present but we will need to maitain it and information seems scarce. Many thanks.

"J = Johnson
6 = 6 hp
BF = m

"J = Johnson
6 = 6 hp
BF = made in Belgium and derated, ropestart
C = 8 and N = 2 therefore a 1982 model
R is a production suffix

A lot newer than you thought but a 6hp is not listed in the parts catalog for 1982. I guess its a down rated 7.5, perhaps made for the European market

worth reading THIS ITEM as much of it will be relevant to you as the owner of a motor you know little about.

See icon at the top of the page for some manuals but official manuals should be available from KEN COOK

just noticed you are in the UK too. Ties in with the made in Belgium bit.

Good places for spares are Willsmarine.co.uk in Kingsbridge and outboards-direct.co.uk aka Oakley Marine in Brighton.

PS know about the www.YBW.com forums in the UK?"

Thanks Vic for that informatio

Thanks Vic for that information. I have contacted the UK spares suppliers you mention and have learned that spares are still available for this engine which was made in the old OMC factory in Brugges. Unfortunately Ken Cook did not recognize the number so I am still looking for a manual. I also looked at the YBW forum - this ones more useful!

"I wasn't but I should hav

"I wasn't but I should have been. It is, as you say, a lot easier to locate a manual than on Outboard books but unfortunately no luck with this model.

I'd guess the owners manual for 4 & 7.5 models will effectively cover Roy's and Manual 392790 Service Manual - 1982 E/J ALL MODELS

But $92 ouch!"

"ya ouch,

I also have a ver

"ya ouch,

I also have a very strong network of omc johnson and evinrude parts look up tools and cross references as well as a large inventory of out of production parts and a system to find them throughout the dealers networks
just send me a email if I can help."

"I was advised to try 'Cly

"I was advised to try 'Clymer Manuals' The nearest I got was the following -Outboard Motor Service Manual, 1969-1989 Vol. 2
Item ID: OS211
ISBN: 0-87288-465-1
Price: $26.95
Manufacturers Covered: Chrysler, Evinrude, Force, Johnson, Mariner, Mercury, Sea King, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Yamaha
A search on my Model No.J6BFCNR gave 'No Match'
Rod Bower the Commercial Manager at Quinquari Marine - www.quinquarimarine.co.uk - (who replied to my email to outboards-direct.co.uk) has provided some very useful information and clearly knows the engine. It seems I will have to rely on information on similar models for now.
Thanks for all the interest. I may post my experience of using the motor for the first time next week.}}"

There's a Seloc manual tha

There's a Seloc manual that covers smaller (< 60hp) johnson and Evinrudes from 1971 to 1989. £30 new or from £17 used from Amazon

And a Clymer one with similar coverage (<40 hp) for £20

Back