Logo

1971 100 hp johnson no start

100hpwaterhorse

"need help with my engine, I h

"need help with my engine, I had nothing and narrowed it to the amp. I up graded to a msd set up and now I get a back fire as I release the key. my point gap was set to .010 and I cleaned the cap. What gives???? do I need a new cap? stator?"

"update, took the flywheel off

"update, took the flywheel off and I have plenty of spark in the cap, when i move the advance it will arc in the cap(this is all by hand, when I crank with a plug out and grounded there is no spark.) I think I have a timing issue now. how do I set the timing on this thing?"

"I think all the old evinrude

"I think all the old evinrude guys must have had a long week end.

That "anti reverse " spring goes around the crank shaft. Use a new one if it looks worn thru in the middle. Right near where the points wire connects is a shinny little tab the coil of the reverse spring would hit if the engine ran backwards, grounding out the ignition.

The sync and linc for that engine is a little complicated. You might want a book you can refer back too.

Just spinning by hand will probably not produce a spark at the spark plug, you will have to put the flywheel back on."

"That model initially incorpor

"That model initially incorporates a reverse cutout spring to eliminate having the engine try to run backwards. Don't know if it's still used with the conversion you've made though.

It sounds like the electric starter is robbing the voltage away from the pulsepack, then when you release the key from the start position, the voltage suddenly jumps up back to the pulsepack resulting in that sudden firing. If this is the case, read on..........

(Voltage Drop To Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Pulsepack When Electric Starter Is Engaged)
(J. Reeves)

On the older Battery Capacitance Discharge ignition systems (1968-1972), the electric starter reaches a point, even with a top notch battery, whereas the starter will draw excess voltage/current/whatever which results in a voltage drop to the pulsepack. The cure is to purchase a diode which is capable of handling 12 volts and installing it between the starter terminal of the starter solenoid (NOT the battery cable terminal) and the wiring terminal that supplies voltage to the pulsepack.

The diode must be installed so that the current flows from the starter terminal of the solenoid to the pulsepack... NOT vice versa. When that diode is installed in this manner, when the key is turned to the start position, the voltage that is applied to the starter is also applied directly to the pulsepack via the diode effectively eliminating the voltage drop and energizing the pulsepack with the required voltage needed for its proper operation.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe, I converted to a msd ign

"Joe, I converted to a msd ignition so there is no pack or cdi box anymore. as for the anti reversing spring, there is a black plastic piece with a metal tab. the metal tab points down to the rotating base plate. I have the metal tab through the center of the loop of the anti- reversing spring. So what I gather from Williams post, is that this is grounding out the points and causing the no start condition. As for the linkage, I didnt touch any of it as I was quite pleased with the performance of the engine before it quit on me."

"The spring must be floating f

"The spring must be floating free along side of that metal tab so that when the engine is running, it is pulled away from that metal tab, BUT if the crankshaft should turn counter clockwise momentarily, that spring loop is forced up against the metal tab effectively grounding out the ignition.

The spring should be installed so that the flat portion is facing down with the loop facing up.

Also, there should be an ample amount of type D grease on the crankshaft where the it rotates on the spring, otherwise that spring won't last very long. Type D is simply a high temperature type grease."

"I will take it apart again to

"I will take it apart again tomorrow to move the spring and let you know the results....Thanks for the info!! oh,....what is the oil wick lubed with? is the high temp stuff the same as high pressure bearing grease?"

Back