Logo

Volvo 131 cooling system

evanm_21

i have a 86 bayliner aq131 vol

i have a 86 bayliner aq131 volvo engine. apparently somebody modified and it no longer has a radiator. why would they do this? it has burned up the exhaust hose that goes to outdrive. what is wrong and what do i do?

That sounds strange. Could you

That sounds strange. Could you upload some pictures showing where/how the "radiator" is gone?

"hi there i have a renken aq13

"hi there i have a renken aq131 engine that runs very hot (101degrees) but does not affect drive .i have replaced the impellor and drive and seal , water is being sucked up and the exhaust manifold runs just warm heat exchanger on the front of the engine is quite hot .i have checked the temp gauage on the boat is reading correct by using a inferead temp test which shows the same temp .i am suspecting the heat exchanger may be possible clogged and not cooling the eng cooling system,also i have removed the thermostat.is it a easy task to clean the heat exchanger or do you surgest anythink else first?"

"Neil, you may want to conside

"Neil, you may want to consider starting a new thread when you post a new topic.

Now, let's discuss your problem. In my experience, there are more common causes for engines like yours to overheat than a clogged/scaled-up heat exchanger.

Have you checked the raw water hose connector on the outdrive? If it gets corroded, it can become perforated and then the raw water pump will suck air when the boat is on the plane. This is a very common problem, but luckily the solution (replacing it with new) is both easy and cheap. Also, check inside the outdrive grids for barnacle growth if you leave the boat in the water.

Also, have you checked the condition of the strainer? Additionally, consider checking the exhaust manifold and check if the riser part has the water passages clogged with rust/scale, or if there is mud/scale accumulation in the area where the copper pipe is attached to the manifold.

Another possible cause could be the belt slipping on the circulating pump pulley. This is not common, but it can happen in the belt is loose, so you may want to check that as well.

In any case you may want to install back the thermostat. Your engine needs it to run at the specified temperature margin (82º-92ºC).

Hope this helps."

"Sorry about that ! And thanks

"Sorry about that ! And thanks for a quick response ,shared information can go along way .I know the raw water pipe is ok as this is new and my dad made a new housing on the outdrive which this connect's to.I proberly should have mentionend this before but the heat exchanger/rad is alot hotter at the top than the bottom when used on the water.Do you have an exploded view of the heat exchanger at all,also the engine temp is perfect when being flushed out ."

Hi I have a AQ131 1987. It is

Hi I have a AQ131 1987. It is a closed system. I have replace the o-ring and tube in the outdrive and replaced the neck and hose at the out drive. I have replaced the impeller and boiled the manifold out. When I put the manifold back the cooling was better but still not right. I did notice more water coming out of the outdrive when running on the water hose.I have taken the heat exchanger apart and cleaned it and put a clear hose on the raw water intake side and it is also full when running in water. I still have a heating problem at high rpm it did get better with the manifold boiled out but still a small problem somewhere. Thanks

Back