Logo

Stainless Head Gasket Sealer or No Sealer

mike77cj

Regular Contributor
"I am replacing heads on a 199

"I am replacing heads on a 1997 5.7 (350) Mercruiser. The new gaskets (Detroit Gasket) are solid stainless steel. The Mercruiser manual states to use 'Quicksilver Pro-gasket Sealer" with ribbed gaskets. I have never used a sealer with head gaskets.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

The gasket looks very similar to the one pictured here: http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&P roduct_Code=DET59211HS&Category_Code=GASK-HS

(Yes I realize that set is for a V6, but the image shows the same type of head gasket.)

Thanks!"

is there a paper with the kit

is there a paper with the kit that says to or not??

Solid SS ?? hm.. have to wonder how much it compresses.. need to compress something to take up the clearances.

Are the heads new ? or used ?? were they milled ??

"No instrucitons with the gask

"No instrucitons with the gasket kit.

By solid I mean that the gasket is solid metal and not comprised of metal and a composite. After inspecting them again tonight I did note there is a small ridge around the cylinder and water jacket cutouts. I am GUESSING that the ridges face up from the block, to compress against the head.

Heads have been remanned by local shop and checked for trueness."

"probably going back to all me

"probably going back to all metal, which is thinner and helps keep the compression ratio up, had a hard time finding them for a while.

no sealer, just put them on.. there should be a stamping on them that says TOP that side faces the head.

Good luck.. Safe Boating."

Back