Logo

2000 150 HP Johnson Ocean Runner Idle Issues Please help

cmone42

"I have a 2000 150 hp Johnson

"I have a 2000 150 hp Johnson Ocean Runner that is clean as a whistle and runs great (very low hours <100) however I am having some serious idle issues. The beginning of the summer I had an issue where the motor died on me...when i started it back up, it reved all the way up to about 4,000 rpms and wouldn't come back down. Needless to say I was towed in. Mechanic replaced the Optical Sensor & the Power back because I was having idle issues before this. Well, that took care of the RPM issue, but I am still having idle issues. We then drained the entire tank because we found a lot of water in the gas and that was causing the problem with the boat dieing and not restarting (water separator was FULL OF WATER). But now I am still having the idle issues. The mechanic refuses to rebuild the carbs because the motor sounds/runs to good to have to rebuild the carbs (according to him). I have been around boats long enough and really think that it is a carb issue and I am looking for another opionion before I switch mechanics.

symptoms:

Motor will start and idle fine from the start. The thing idles EXCELLENT with muffs on it but under a load/in the water it will eventually die. When I am idling back to the dock or idling anywhere...for fuel....docks at restaurant..etc. anytime I put it into neutral it will sputter and die in about 3-5 seconds. sometimes it will do it before I put it into neutral. BUT it will start right back up when I turn the key. Then the issue will repeat itself in about 15 seconds. This is creating a huge issue and a lot of headache. Any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance!!"

"i would go back,to the wtr is

"i would go back,to the wtr issue--it may not be over,...after draining a tank,..it should be treated,to take care,of any remaining.i would also,put it on an 'ign analyzer',and raise idle timing,if needed...it may be idling,just too slow.."

"A couple of things, did you d

"A couple of things, did you drain the carb bowls, you might still have water hanging around in the system (besides the tank)

idle on muffs should be up around 1100-1200 then drop to around 700 approx in the water.

If thats all oky doky then I'd check the idle jets in the carbs. DIY , its very simple."

Back