Logo

1957 3 hp Evinrude

On the top of my 1957 3 HP Joh

On the top of my 1957 3 HP Johnson outboard it says:

"Mix 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gas. Use outboard oil or SAE 30 motor oil".

If my math is correct that works out to a 16:1 mix ratio.

"That was valid 50 years ago w

"That was valid 50 years ago when the recommended "oil" was SAE 30 automotive oil. Using modern TCW 3 outboard oil, a 24 to 1 ratio is correct."

Confused?
20:1 according to E

Confused?
20:1 according to Evinrude
16:1 according to Mr Podman
24:1 according to Bob Caskey

"It's easy to get confused

"It's easy to get confused.

Here is a photo of the oil mixing instructions off the top of my 57 3HP Johnson.

284600.jpg
oil mix"">

I follow these instructions every day in the summer and find it works just as well in 2009 as in 1957.

I can't think of a reason in the world why I would want to under mix the oil in the gas."

The current advice is to use a

The current advice is to use a TCW3 oil. Something that did not exist in 1957!

Also an automtive gear oil would not now be recommended for the gear case.

Technology has advanced during the past 50 years.

"Kinda like comparing Corn Cob

"Kinda like comparing Corn Cobs to Charmin. Both work but one is a lot nicer. butt - maybe some still perfer corn cobs.
happy.gif
"

"Keep in mind there are two is

"Keep in mind there are two issues here.

First, what kind of outboard oil to use. TCW3 would seem to be fine.

Second, what ratio to mix. Personally, for my 1957 motor I stick to the ratio identified on the motor.

Its the most conservative approach."

I have a 1959 3HP lightwin and

I have a 1959 3HP lightwin and the mixing instructions printed on the front of the motor call for 1/3 pint per gallon (24 to 1) but the reference to using motor oil is no longer included. I had my first "light twin" over 50 years ago and at that time it did in fact seem light weight. My current lightwin does not seem to be as easy to carry...don't know why? Must have something to do with gravity.

If you look at the link I post

If you look at the link I posted you will see that the correct fuel mix for 1959 to 1963 is 24:1. Original question was about a '57 model.

Back