Logo

1957 3HP Johnson Head Gasket amp Exhaust Plate Gasket

tranquilitybase

"I am rebuilding a 1957 3HP Jo

"I am rebuilding a 1957 3HP Johnson Outboard. I would like to know what kind of gasket dressing if any is needed on the new head gasket and on the gasket for the exhaust plate.

The attached drawing shows the head gasket as #7 and the exhaust gasket as #24.

284531.jpg
Gaskets"">

I have been reading different things. One choice is obviously to put nothing on them. Another choice appears to be to coat them in motor oil. A third choice appears to be OMC Gasket Sealing Compound.

Please help with advice for each of the two gaskets."

"if the new gasket,is shiney..

"if the new gasket,is shiney...then it has the sealer...,personally,i doubt it does on that gasket,and i,..would put sealer on it,to help seal any imperfections on that older eng..
omc gasket sealer is the same as--aviation formagasket 'brush-in-lid,..avail at auto parts.
I use that on all gaskets,that require sealant."

I have been asking this questi

I have been asking this question about gasket goo to as many "outboard experts" as possible in the last week. At this and other forums as well as by emailing OMC service people.

I have received about a half a dozen replies so far and there doesn't appear to be a dominant answer.

I'm getting:

1) Don't use anything on them.
2) Use motor oil on them.
3) Use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound.
4) Don't use anything on them but re-torque the head after running the first time.
5) Use aviation gasket material.

It sure would be nice if there was one common practice.

Going on dry is my preference.

Going on dry is my preference. With proper torquing - I have never had a problem. But - I know there are many theories... Just my opinion. Especially the little motors.. Big motors - different story.

I emailed 10 OMC dealers acros

I emailed 10 OMC dealers across the country and a few vintage motor guys.

The majority of the recommendations coming in are to install the gaskets dry.

Back