Logo

Another steering problem

kevincave

"i also have a v.p. i believe

"i also have a v.p. i believe 290 outdrive. with the outdrive removed from the boat, steering unhooked inside i have to use a hammer to move the steering arm and yoke. i cannot figure how it comes apart. help please...kc"

what would make this steering

what would make this steering arm so tight you have to use a hammer to move it? it looks like it sits in plastic bushings. very help full link. i will have to remove the transom ring it looks like..

"Most likely corrosion between

"Most likely corrosion between the transom seal and the bushings. That makes the bushings squeeze the shaft. Might be quite a job to get it down. Try to wedge under the fork at the back, and at the same time add 'pressure' on top of the shaft. I have to admit, that I more than once have had to remove the transom assembly to get it out!"

"ok, you guys were right on th

"ok, you guys were right on the money, transom ring out some swift blows with a hammer and socket and out came the yoke, it was corrosion between the shaft and bushings. now my boat is in about 500 parts but i will know everyone of them when its back together. thanks again, how did we ever do this without the internet? kevin"

Back