Logo

280 old stern drive

mickcc

"Hi its Mick from the Land Dow

"Hi its Mick from the Land Down under.
My Brother in Law has some how managed to damage the transom mounting bracket as cracks show in photo and the steering pivot point bracket this was all caused by some idiot driving the boat onto the trailer not realizing that the trailer is longer than the boat thus smashing the leg into the back of the trailer.
so he wants me to help him fix it.
the serial number is 28012438 or 2801243B
what would the est amount of Dollars for parts?
and is it fixable?
and what would be the best way to tackle the dismantling it to the transom.

any ideals welcomed.
hope some one can help
regards Mick
282440.jpg
cracks in bracket

"Yes, it's replaceable...

"Yes, it's replaceable... I'd not try to repair it.

There are a few other very important things that can be addressed when this has been removed from the transom.... so don't go a way yet.

Which engine?
Single or double exhaust reliefs?

."

That was a quick reply

engi

That was a quick reply

engine is a V8 chevy 350
only guessing likely to be double exhaust reliefs

"OK, Sounds like this would be

"OK, Sounds like this would be the 280/275 w/ double reliefs.
Volvo had a price increase on this Transom Shield just last year.... Over $3k now.

These are becoming more difficlut to find in good condition since many are from moored boats with some corrosion issues.

If you find one.... grab it... don't let it get away.
I have two cherry ones that I will be placing on auction via e-Bay soon.

Rick"

"Thanks Michael and Rick
hav

"Thanks Michael and Rick
have looked at the sheild on ebay
question will it fit on a v8 and how do u tell the diffence between a single relief and a double
i noticed on ebay one round hole on the bottom.
I`ll get this checked out on the boat.
Mick
282533.jpg
ebay shield

"You have a single relief tran

"You have a single relief transom shield. Now, it would be great if you could take a picture from inside the boat showing the steering arm area to see what type you have. "

El should i buy the Transom sh

El should i buy the Transom shield now or do you think i should wait untill i send you the photos.

Mick

"There are two basic types of

"There are two basic types of transom shield with single relief hole, but the steering arrangement is different on each of them. This is why I asked you to post the picture (ASAP), so that you can be sure you are buying the right thing."

Thanks El
You are right and

Thanks El
You are right and know a lot more about this then me will post the photos ASAP when the brother in law sends them

Mick

"Mick... agree.... a few pics

"Mick... agree.... a few pics would sure help here. Aslo, what engine is this?
If early v-8, the single relief shield works witht the exhaust Y pipe from the AQ 200B and some of the SBF engines.

If 4 cylinder... it will for certain be the single relief.... but now you need to know which steering like El P is asking you.

This image will show you both the bronze bushing bore (for the verical lever)... and the two threaded holes for the steering tube bracket.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/32/be/9b43_1.JPG

This is the cable bracket.(upside down in his photo)
If your shield uses this bracket, then your new shield will need to also have the bronze bushing bore for the verical lever and the two threaded holes for the bracket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-280-Drive-Steering-Cable-Mount_W0QQit emZ130304695906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item1e56c3de6 2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting"

"Rick
Engine is a 350 chev wi

"Rick
Engine is a 350 chev with the exhaust y pipe
as for the cable bracket here`s a pic but brother in law believes here saw it there
Mick
282555.jpg
cable bracket

"Well, that is quite a unique

"Well, that is quite a unique set up there, Mick!
From what I can see, this is using the long spindle arm, so you could use either single exhaust relief transom shield.
IOW's; you could use one of the two single relief shields whether or not it had the bronze bushing and threads for the cable bracket.
Your steering system apparently does not use a standard cable connection!

Now, we just need to find you a nice clean 280/275 single relief shield!
I have them if you can not find a good clean one!

Just an FYI here, but I went back and looked at the crack again... and more curiously, the location of the crack!
I'd be checking the transom core real well while you have this all apart.
You'll have the engine out anyway, and if I had not mentioined this, be sure to install new primary drive shaft bearings in your Flywheel Ccover.

Use extreme caution when removing the Y pipe... loosen bolts... rock gently side to side (not fwd/aft) and loosen it from the shield.
Those too (the 3" aq200b Y pipe) are very hard to find in good condition, used.

Mick, Re; the Y pipe....
There will be one small soft plug, Stbd side, AFT, on this Y pipe.... (# 24 in this image!)
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/images/omcvolvo/ACF12B.gif"
(btw, that image is the aq200b Y pipe and 280 shield)
I'd recommend that you check and/or replace and/or TIG weld this hole closed. Especially if this boat is to be moored.
"

"That great Rick,
now i know

"That great Rick,
now i know that the parts are available
the shield in post 7 on ebay is still up for grabs as i also need the suspension fork it is broken round the lower pin, and gods nows what else we find on the way of dismantling it.

Rick if you have these parts could you please email me the prices of them on [email protected]

Mick"

"Like Ricardo, I have been thi

"Like Ricardo, I have been thinking about the unusual location of the crack. I wouldn't be surprised if the broken transom shield is an indication of a larger problem with the transom structure (rotted transom?).

The transom shield on eBay may work, but coming from a 4 cylinder engine, I would check that it carries the 1-1/2" diameter steering fork (the old ones were about 1"). Also, make sure there is no major pitting or corrosion around the bottom forward side of the transom shield. While that type of pitting can be repaired with TIG welding, you will run into problems if the grooves for the o-rings are already pitted.

I still have in my shop a 280 transom shield with single bypass in good condition out of a 350 Chevy, and a Y-pipe (part 835336) as well. I've been saving them for a project, but let me know if you run out of options."

"Mick, it looks that you poste

"Mick, it looks that you posted while I was working on my previous post. If you have found a number of things broken, it may be cheaper for you to buy a complete package from someone who is re-powering. I don't know how easy (or difficult) it is in Australia to find complete packages, but if someone if removing from his boat a complete AQ package with a Chevy 350 and a 280 or 290 drive, you may get a better deal.

Just my opinion."

"Thanks to Michael`s input I`v

"Thanks to Michael`s input I`ve managed to get Lightendog who own the Transom shield on Ebay to send me a pic of the other side of it.

what do you reckon
El and Rick looks ok to me, but it was on a 4 cylinder Engine.

Mick
282641.jpg
AQ other side

"That one is suited for a diff

"That one is suited for a different steering system (mechanical advantage) than yours, but it will work. Just make sure there is no corrosion at the bottom, or at least that the grooves for the o-rings are in good condition. You can always repair other types of pitting with TIG.

Here is a picture of a transom shield corroded at the bottom, but none of the critical areas is affected: the pitting can be repaired with TIG.

282648.jpg

This other one...well, it is still repairable, but since the pitting has affected the groove for the exhaust o-ring I would stay away from it unless it was my last and only option.

282649.jpg

You could still consider asking the seller to send you a close-up of that area."

"Mick, Agreed!
I think that

"Mick, Agreed!
I think that the critical issue would be any corrosion ..... particularly down low as shown in El's photo.
Often the Shield comes in close proximity to the transom core (sometimes not even touching), and the result will be some corrosion as what his photo shows..... sometimes it's a result of debris filling the space between core and the aluminum of the shield. (I see this occasionally)
So have the seller show you some close-ups, and purchase wisely, IMO.

Now... As for the shield having the two threaded holes and the bronze receptacle for the bell crank arm........ It does not matter...... like I mentioned earlier, either of them will work and here's why;
**This 280/275 shield, as El mentions, accepts either the short or long Spindle arm.
** The single exhaust relief outlet at the shield is in the same location for a 4 or 6 cylinder exhaust tube .... or the early V- 8 Y-pipe.
**Since this is a 280/275, it will use the large shaft Collar Steering Fork shaft.

El P, I must say that I'm not comfortable with the idea of a TIG Weld repair on a corroded area. (Crack/break....yes!) This type of aluminum must be perfectly clean and free from any contamination in order to make a successful weld repair.
I suppose it could be ground out/bead blasted, etc., but this is pretty critical if the boat were to be moored.

Oh... one more thing!
That shield has the water tube removed from it. If you've never removed this item from a used transom shield, you're in for a treat! (Sarcastic remark....
uhoh.gif
....)
This is a Chromed Copper tube.... Spelled "Soft"! Correction.... Spelled "Very Soft"!
Proceed with caution when attempting to remove one that may have corrosion holding it in place.

And as long as we're on the subject... make sure that you understand how and what seals this shield to the transom....
It is NOT Caulking around the perimeter and/or at the bolt heads as sometimes seen!
stop.gif

It is performed by the large/long gasket and the six NEW rubber bolt shank sealing O rings.
If you need help with that, let us know.

."

"One more thing that I failed

"One more thing that I failed to mention.... that shield does not have the rubber hose "shift cable sheathe" on it.
These fittings are a real bugger to remove.
Make sure that you get one with a good fitting, hose and hose crimp sleeve.
The integrity of this part will keep your boat afloat!"

"Hi Rick
still try to do a d

"Hi Rick
still try to do a deal with Lightendog he has a suspension fork as well and might be able to even put it in the same box to send down under.

You mention the 280/275 has the large shaft collar steering fork shaft?
Would this be different to the one on the boat?

Mick
282723.jpg
pic

Thanks El
ok so the shield on

Thanks El
ok so the shield on ebay is an 280/275 and as you guys have been trying to tell me is the steering fork is 1.5 inches and the old type of shields have the 1.0 inch shaft. I have thought about this only today that it might be possible to Bush the steerng fork housing on the shield to be able to match up with the 1 inch shaft.
??
Mick

am i

"Mick,
The serial # of YOUR

"Mick,
The serial # of YOUR transmission (if original) tells me that you have a 280.
(Please note though, this could be a 280 transmission installed on a 270 transom shield!)
I cannot tell for sure whether I'm seeing the larger collar steering fork shaft or a smaller one in your photo.
I am seeing what appears to be an older, three wire Lift Out Unit motor and older relay box..... typically used on the 250/270.

But if this is the large shaft, you will be staying with the larger Collar Steering Fork shaft diameter..... I.E., 280, 275, 285.
If not, pick up a Shield that includes the Collar Steering fork.... many will include this fork. Your helmet interchanges!

So the answer to your question is, Yes..... either a 280 or a 275 single relief transom shield will work and will use the large diameter CSF Shaft. (I have a good grasp on what interchanges on this older AQ series stuff)

The image that El P just posted would appear to be (judging from the single relief Y pipe) an AQ 200B.
This single relief transom shield is the one that will work for you.

Collar Steering Fork Shaft diameter:
As for the diameter of the CSF Shaft.... this increased from approximately 1" to 1-1/2" with the 280 and later transoms shields. Steer clear of a 250/270 transom shield for this reason only.

Answer to Bushing Down for the smaller CSF Shaft..... Simply put... NO! I'd certainly not do this when these 280/275 Shields are so dang easy to find.

Question for you: You mentioned that the seller, LightenDog, may ship a main suspension fork with this..... Why change the MSF out? Just curious! I'll Caution you when removing the pivot tube if you do not have the correct tools.

Again, and at the risk of redundancy..... make sure that the shift cable sheathe connection to the Shield is in excellent condition.

Friendly fyi: You may want to remove what appears to be a zip tie on your spark plug wires. Best to space these when grouping like this.

."

"Rick
I have contacted lighte

"Rick
I have contacted lightendog again checking the hole size for the steering fork,
both shields are of the 70`s model so this should clear that particilar part area

As the dismantling stage will be not far away i`ll keep you all informed as there will be more questions
mick"

Rick
The Suspenion fork is b

Rick
The Suspenion fork is broken away fom the Pin at the lowest point haven`t got photo a piece has broken off around the pin which faces the transom and most likely used to hold the leg in place.

as for parts please send me some prices you guys know hat i need a good 280 Shield and a 280 Suspension fork

Mick

Back