Logo

DT225 in safe mode no check engine lightsHELP

megafish

"This engine is stuck in limp

"This engine is stuck in limp mode, runs perfect just not more than 2000 rpms. engine not hot, oil flow good, water pump good, fuel good, no obviose problems, what am I missing? I hear there are 5 sensors that could cause this but I dont know where they are or what they are....HELP"

Safe mode limits rpms to 3000

Safe mode limits rpms to 3000? Or did it loose spark. Safe Mode as you call it cuts out 1/2 the ignition. Chk to make sure you have spark on all six cylinders. It will seem like it's idleing fine. The year of the engine would be helpful Kevin. Let me know.

"Its a 1999 super six. I went

"Its a 1999 super six. I went out to boat last night and its running perfect again, it comes and goes. when it goes, you can hear the engine hic-up Briefly then it limits itself to 2000 rpms. have plenty of throttle left, but will not go beyond 2000 rpms. The whole time the engine is smooth as silk. can check spark on all cylinders tonight and let you know."

Ok well 1999 150 super six is

Ok well 1999 150 super six is different than a 225. Are you sure about the year and it being a Super Six?? Is it fuel injected with 12 plugs? I need accurate info to help.

"Yes, I am positive it is 1999

"Yes, I am positive it is 1999 DT225 super Six EFI with 12 plugs. By the way I appreciate your input, I hope you can help me figure this thing out!"

Could be the high pressure pum

Could be the high pressure pump trying to go bad. Dose the problem come and go abruptly? It sounds like your dropping spark on half the engine. It's not uncommon for the CDI box to go bad.

You will have to chk for spark when the problem occurs to elminate the igniton as the problem. Pull your plugs and see if the right side look any different than the left side.

"Yes, the problem starts all a

"Yes, the problem starts all at once, however once it starts it wont go away while the engine is running. After the motor has sat for a period (meaning, several days) It may or may not run normally. After it starts running normal it may go for several days or just hours and sometimes only minutes before it starts acting up again.

When checking for spark, do mean the right side plug or the right side of the engine?

Thanks again, sorry it took so long for me to respond. had a bit of an emergency yesterday."

"2001 DT225 Efi
I am having t

"2001 DT225 Efi
I am having the same problem, my engine wont go over 1000-1200 rpms and has no spark on the port side head, also, no check engine blinking light, what could it be?, bear in mind, I live in the middle of nowhere....I need to go simple before buying components
thanks in advance"

"Broken ground, dirty ground.

"Broken ground, dirty ground. Left side no sprk Is usually CDI box. You will need to do all the output test to verify though."

"first , thanks for your answe

"first , thanks for your answer, it was fast!! I was thinking about a ground fault as a matter of fact , but was too tired yesterday to check, and it was dark on the lake
I bought the outboard last year, untested, put it on a stand, connected all the wiring and put some oil on the sparkplug holes, it started right away, spark on all 12 sp-plugs, tested it for some 20 minutes and it seemed ok, until I mounted it on the boat and took to the lake, strange thing is, it seems to rev faster moving backwards, or maybe just my imagination...will check ground today, wich tests do I need to perform? I have the seloc manual and access to a multimeter, (btw, I am mechanic oriented,...
)
my boating pics: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558576240jKwFJU
I live in the middle of a semidesertic zone in mexico, and boat at 6000 feet altitude 7 months of the year.."

All outputs from stator to cdi

All outputs from stator to cdi box your manual should outline the test procedure.

"another question, during rigg

"another question, during rigging, I removed the oil tank, and there are six hose conections ahead of the inyectors, connected to nothing..according to the seloc manual, this is where the oil was injected on older DT225s, this engine has the oil injection conected direct into the high pressure pump lines, at the evaporator, before the injectors rail, should the inlets be capped (shut) or left open (there is a slight vacumm there)
pic here: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2364543350068814537iQBrse
thanks in advance"

"forgot to add, I removed the

"forgot to add, I removed the oil tank to do some cleaning, and then the oil tank was reinstalled again, I have the oil injecton system working...but I left the pipes open, should I cap them?"

"@ Robert P.
thanks for the a

"@ Robert P.
thanks for the advice, I isolated the ignition problem to the CDI, no signal is coming out to the 3 port cylinders, I ordered a second hand one today, no word on the oils intake fittings?
thanks again!!!
Xavier"

Don't worry about the hose

Don't worry about the hose on the old oil line fittings. They used them as air bleeds when they took the holes out of the throttle plate.Just keep them out of the bottom of the pan so they don't suck up water.

"so, they are meant to be open

"so, they are meant to be open to atmosphere or should I cap (close) them?
or it makes no diference?

thanks again Robert P.!!"

sounds like i have same thing

sounds like i have same thing going on with my dt 225 1999 model runs like a striped ape at times and then acts stupid. Robert will the cdi come and go seems like after it runs a while it falls out cools off and cranks again does loose spark phone call would be great i can talk so much faster than i can type
thanks
allen

"I received today the complete

"I received today the complete electrical system I bought, just one question about the 3 yellow wires coming from the engine to the ignition-cdi-regulator box, are the three the same?"

"nevermind, its working right

"nevermind, its working right now, I figured it out....!!! its a sweet sound,
@ 3000 rpms moves at around 20mph and consumes about 5gph is whitin parameters?"

"Sorry to bother you but I tho

"Sorry to bother you but I thought you might be able to help me. I have lost spark on my motor on all 12 cylinders. Is there a way to check stator, temp sensors, or oil sensors? Anything will help I hane ohm out the temp switches and I got tone is that right? All I have is a multimeter. My e-mail is [email protected]"

"the motor has been running al

"the motor has been running all ok, like a clock..
then, yesterday, suddenly, I slammed the throttle and the oil flow light came flashing on and the buzzer blimped loudly 3 times..I backed down inmediatly,and the buzzing stopped, I drove for about 20 minutes more at moderate to top speed, and nothng happened, I just did not slam it hard anymore ..any ideas as why?
Xavier"

Back