Logo

Johnson 85 HP Outboard

nydoug

"Hi I have a 85 HP Manual tilt

"Hi I have a 85 HP Manual tilt 1980 Johnson I bought used. It is extremely difficult to move it up or down. I hear a squeaking noise when I'm moving it. I can't get any grease thru the two fittings that feed grease to where it pivots on the shaft. The fittings are OK grease went thru when I took them off. I have 2 questions they are: There is a cylinder that is attached to the motor and opens and closes as the motor is up or down, what exactly does this cylinder do my friend thinks it is what is causing the problem he said it is shot? And last question is there any way to free up the grease so it flows to where it's supposed to, I think that is the problem.
Thanx For any ideas
NYDOUG"

"most likely,the tilt tube,...

"most likely,the tilt tube,.....that nitrogen,or oil cyl went out years ago....you would benfit greatly,IF,that is a good engine,to get a CMC,tilt and trim unit,inst on your boat,..u would absolutely love it...tnt at the push of a button...and the benfits of a set back,jack plate."

"as far as the grease goes hav

"as far as the grease goes have you tried compressed air...sounds as if its been a while since its been greased and the grease has hardened......you may have to use soem kind of solvent.....but when you get it cleaned out you need to grease it till you get ALL the solvent out.

and that lil shock lists for $325.........the # is 387792 on http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=65282fc687943b861e77a2f5df924ea4 you may be able to find one cheaper using this part #"

i guess i need to type faster

i guess i need to type faster lol

and i should have recommended the after market tnt........its almost the same price as the shock

"yep........now days,..the cmc

"yep........now days,..the cmc unit,is the solution,to alot of problems,on alot of engines...and,u can transfer it,when your old eng dies to another eng.."

Does this cylinder which cost

Does this cylinder which cost $345 actually do ANYTHING? Can I just remove it and leave it off?
Thanx
Doug

its a shock ina sense ......it

its a shock ina sense ......it will keep your eng from moving up or down too fast in either direction..and maybe assist a lil in tilting...from what i understand anyways.....

i never understood an eng of this hp to not have tilt/trim....nor have i ever seen one.

you will get a LOT more performance out of this eng with power tnt.

"as far as leaving it off.....

"as far as leaving it off.....i dont know.

does it have a lock which keeps the eng from tilting up in reverse?.........i know the small obs do but dont know about one that size, like i said ive never even seen one that large without tnt........

according to nada guide that eng weighs in at 289..........i bet that dude is hard to tilt without any resistance, much less with res........i know your not lifting all the weight but i bet its still heavy..especially from inside the boat."

"Carefully applying heat from

"Carefully applying heat from a propane torch to the area where the grease has hardened will allow you to move the engine up and down and loosen and liquify the old grease. Repeat that procedure and eventually you should be able to introduce grease in the normal manner through the regular fittings. I once owned a 1980 115 hp Johnson with manual tilt...it was a large motor to move but adding a tilt handle made the Job easier...That handle is still available and sold here on this site for about $66. The motor pictured in the link is a vintage V4 evinrude similar to yours. Tilt and Trim is far superior for many reasons but this device does work.
http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=1892441"

Thanx Bob fro the Info but I w

Thanx Bob fro the Info but I was told that the assist handle would not handle large motors and the tubes would bend. Are you saying that same model handle was strong enough for your 115?
NYDOUG

"The manufacturer(Garelick

"The manufacturer(Garelick) says it can be used on any motor with lift handles. The motor shown looks like a V4 evinrude. I used mine constantly for several summers on a 1970 115 evinrude...would have rather had tilt and trim but that wasn't in the budget at the time and I was also 20 years younger. I think the shock absorber you mention also acts as a spring to assist in tilting...it does keep the motor from damaging the transom if the motor is let down too quickly or kicks up after hitting an underwater object. In any case, regardless of which system you choose, it is important to be able to get grease into those fittings before damage occurs. I have seen several motors of that vintage selling for parts on Craigs List. Prices are as low as $100.00 for a non-running motor and that may be the way to go."

Back