Logo

Need Help Please Part # 982135

1979stratos

"I am trying to find a part or

"I am trying to find a part or its suitable replacement. I have a 1988 stratos ski boat that I have put a 1979 OMC 990-262-S1 motor in. Drive is a 3.0 L Cobra. The ESA is bad. I was told that the part # I need is a 982135 , but it is obsolete ( Is this correct part # that I need) The 909637 is for preset trim only. This is my first time working on boat wiring. I have tried BRP, and other sites, googled it etc. What is the significance of the ESA and what can I do to remedy this?"

I didn't think they had ES

I didn't think they had ESA's back in 1979 but then I didn't think you could attach a Cobra drive to one of those engines either? I have no idea how you would be doing the transfer between the remote and the lower shift cable? Maybe Hy Stat will pop in. A couple of pics would probably help.

Also those 2 PN's you gave 982135 and 909637 are both for an alternator bracket.

could you give alittle more in

could you give alittle more inforation about the engine that you are putting in the boat.

i believe that the part number

i believe that the part number you should be looking for is 0987740 type this number into the oem cross on the parts page of this web site there are several replacement ESA's that will come up.

The motor is a 5.7 liter 260 h

The motor is a 5.7 liter 260 hp. The best I can tell per the wiring diagram its the esa I am missing. The boat is an 88 but the motor is a 79.

Bob. The motor was already mo

Bob. The motor was already mounted when I got the boat. I talked to two boat dealers and they said I could change the pitch of the prop from an 18 to a 24 in order to leave the 350 motor attached to the 3.0L drive. I haven't mounted any shift linkages yet.It would be safe to say that I have minimal experience working on boats. Could you clarify this statement. I have no idea how you would be doing the transfer between the remote and the lower shift cable?

"If it's a 13 spline props

"If it's a 13 spline propshaft lower, the bearings and gears are only good for 140HP.
Not until 1990, did the 3.0's got the 15 spline 260HP rated lower unit.

So, if the Cobra is truly a 1988, a simple prop pitch change might work for a couple of days.... but not for long"

"Sorry Stetson...I was trying

"Sorry Stetson...I was trying to visualize the shift bracket. You have a cable coming from the gearshift/throttle up at your helm and this goes to transfer bracket normally mounted at the engine at the top end. Then there is a shorter shift cable going from the bottom end the bracket down into the Cobra drive where the actual gear shifting takes place. This shifting asm also helps to engage the ESA normally when coming out of gear. Picture below might help, you can see the 2 cables, the 2 switches for the ESA and the ESA (can't see it here) is mounted on the backside of the same bracket asm.

250920.jpg
"

"If I end up having the 13 spl

"If I end up having the 13 spline shaft, Do I have to change out the complete lower unit. Could I change out the bearings and not the gears? Lower Units are costly"

[i]If I end up[/i]

count th

If I end up

count the splines and then we'll all know what you are up against.
"What if" scenarios can go on for ever.

Back