Logo

140 prop

apache61

"I have a 1979 Evinrude 140 HP

"I have a 1979 Evinrude 140 HP on a 1979 aquasport 176 family Fisherman, 17.5 ft.Fiberglass its a small cuddy cab. Aquasport says it is a modified V hull. The boat waighs 1550 dry no live well one batt. I will usaly run 25-30 gal. fuel. haven't been out in it much, the motor had just been rebuilt when I got so I only did a short test run with out running it to hard. Ok heres the ? The motor has a 15X17 prop on it seams a little big, when I checked the hustler prop guide it said I should use something like a 13 3/4 X 17. Any info would be great."

"just from the sounds of thing

"just from the sounds of things,...i would say a 13 1/4 x 19 would be sweeeet on that rig.....15x17....i cant believe it would fit!!..u sure its not 13x17?"

"If that prop fits, it means Y

"If that prop fits, it means You are running a V6 gearcase.
Most likely different gear ratio."

"Do a test run with a working

"Do a test run with a working tach!
If You reach 4500rpm, be happy and keep on.
If You are below 4000, change down to a 15' x 15"."

"OK new news. After using acet

"OK new news. After using acetone, soap and water to remove paint. The tag on the motor mount reads,
E140?XCE? from what I can gather it is a 1989 140 V4 Extra long shaft. I checked and it is a 25" after the E140 the best I can make out is either a G or a C but the C would mean counter and that is not the case. After the CE I think it is a C that shouldn't mater. Thats what I get for taking the word of the guy I bought the boat from. And there in GA. they don't track the motors like in some other states(no title's) so I think it will be a lot easier to change out props if needed"

"The only things it changes fo

"The only things it changes for You, is that it is still a V6 gearcase housing, but a V4 gear ratio.
You will be 'stuck' with the 15" props with larger blade area, will give You a better 'push' and economy, but slightly less top end speed.
X = 25" shaft length
CE= model year code"

"Morten,
Things just keep ge

"Morten,
Things just keep getting better, after more digging it looks like they made a 25" with a V4 gear case don't know thats why I am here. But after more cleaning of the ID tag it definitely says.
E140CXCE which means counter rotation but when the you put it in forward it turns clockwise. So how do I tell the difference between V4/V6 gear case and what is the gear ratio? Man did I just pick up a can of worms or am I still OK?
Thanks so much for your help
Jim"

"Jim, a V4 gearcase will accom

"Jim, a V4 gearcase will accomodate a 14"dia prop with around 1/4" between the prop blades and the cavitation plate. You can also count the splines on the prop shaft. a V4 case will have 13 splines. The V6 gearcase will have 15 splines and will accomodate a 15" prop."

"Jim:
You might be in a bit

"Jim:
You might be in a bit of 'problem'.
The 140CXCE has a counter rotating gearbox. This means the prop should turn counter clock-wise when looking from back. Technically inside the gear box, what is normally the reverse gear (rear) is the forward gear (37 on enclosed pic). If Your engine is equipped with a RH prop, it means it runs in reverse when in forward, which may not be too good for the gearbox.
Your problem might then be that the lowest pitched prop available is a 17" SST.
Go to the BRP web page:http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE&brands=ej&lang=E
and You may get all details.
250882.gif
"

could someone have changed the

could someone have changed the lower unit to a closkwise rotation?

maybe it was swapped after all the guy you bought it from said it was a '79 and its a '89...right?

just thought i would throw that out there.

"Well it looks like it is a V6

"Well it looks like it is a V6 gear box and it is a clockwise rotation. Someone had to have changed the gear box when they changed the motor. I took the boat out when I picked it up and when you put it in gettie up go forward she moves out good. I never opened it up was told the it only had been run a little from a rebuild. It runs great has good compression and all. The guy I got it from was like the 3rd or 4th owner. He showed me a bill from the rebuild from a marine place I didn't read it all. He thought it was the original motor that came with the boat. Some time along it life it was changed. I plan on taking it out this weekend and run it good. I can't complain I only have $300.00 invested in the boat, he owed my a little her and there. He offered me the boat one day to even things up and I took it."

"Morten, If thats what I need

"Morten, If thats what I need to do I will, But do I still need to if it moves out ok from a test run as stated in the above post"

can he not just drop the lu an

can he not just drop the lu and put it in forward then turn the driveshaft by hand to see if its a lefty or righty?

Dropping the lower unit is pro

Dropping the lower unit is probably more work than taking out the 2 screws #28 and pull out the bearing carrier #24.
Running in constant reverse will probably kill the unit in short time.
Just note that the prop shaft on the CR cases are 2-piece. The rear piece (#18) comes out with the carrier and 'forward' wheel as an assy.
I would suggest to get a factory manual to get it right.

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.....gotch

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.....gotcha!

it seems that i do things the hard way..........a lot.

"Looks like I will be opening

"Looks like I will be opening it up, But if it had the counter gear box on it, with a right hand prop. When I put it into forward wouldn't the boat go in reverse?"

It is just a question of how Y

It is just a question of how Your remote is connected. Pull or push shift cable to get into forward!

"OK, I ordered a manual but I

"OK, I ordered a manual but I will try and find another. In the mean time I will go and look at a friends 1990 90hp its a V4 so the shift lever should be the same and I can see what is going on when I shift from forward to reverse.
Thanks for all of the info you are feeding me.
Jim"

"Before you go through droppin

"Before you go through dropping the LU try this,
First V4's came with two different LU's one called the "large gearcase" with 15 spline the other 13 splines.
V6's Same thing.
Lets first id the sucker simply by following the instructions below.
If the rotation matches the V4 you are ok just running a "large gearcase" which is stronger if it matches the V6 you will need to swap it.
On mine Forward is down on the shift rod (looking directly at it ) up is reverse.
Take the cowling of the engine off and remove the spark splugs from the engine. Rotate the flywheel by hand until the #1 top dead center mark is lined up with the timing marker on the front of the engine and mark the 2 points. Now put the engine in forward and mark where the propeller is at. Now rotate the flywheel by hand counting the revolutions of the flywheel and propshaft until the prop makes 1 full revolution. If you rotate the flywheel just shy of 2 full turns to one rotation of the prop you have a V6 lower unit. If you get 2 and 1/4 turns of the flywheel to one revolution of the prop, you have the V4 lower."

"Andrew,
OK I just check as

"Andrew,
OK I just check as per last your last post. I turned the flywheel clockwise, and it took just shy of 2 full revolutions for the prop to turn I come pleat rev."

"There you go , Someone bolted

"There you go , Someone bolted up a V6 gear-case to your engine , Just like mine I took six months to fix this issue. My KUDOS to a guy name "Ferm" I bet he see this someday and smile !
Where are you located I have a V4 LU 25 " Shaft if you in Fl its yours , Good Luck"

Never trust the engine tag on

Never trust the engine tag on the Tilt & Trim Bracket chances are some one swap in replacement and never bother to re-tag it. My engine is a 1897 140 v4 the Model tag matches a 1978 v4 140 (My Bad)

"Jim in Australia we had two m

"Jim in Australia we had two models a 20 inch transom motor with a v4 gearcase and the 25 inch model had the v6 gearcase, i dont see a problem with what you have.Go and give it a flat out run and see what revs you got as the manufacture states 4500 to 5500 rpms all should be good."

Back