Logo

Manual Hydraulic Steering

matthole

"I have a Tiara 2500 Salon wit

"I have a Tiara 2500 Salon with dual stations. The lower helm doesn't work very well. I'm pretty sure its because there is air in the system. I have a true 3 line system, with the two helms interconnected, so my lower helm has 4 hoses coming out of it. So evidently somewhere on my boat there is a uni-valve. I haven't chased the lines all the way back to see where it is, but I can't even see it any where in my bildge. Is it possible to have a uni-valve without a resevoir? I know for a fact there is no resevoir on my boat. So If I don't have one, is this still a low pressure system? Anyone heard of this type of setup?"

If it was air I would think bo

If it was air I would think both helms would have the same symptoms. You may have a worn out lower helm pump..weak valves not holding pressure. Are you getting a skipping effect..small releases of resistence to your turning the helm..would give the sensation of air bubbles in the pump?

"Matt; I posted this for you

"Matt; I posted this for you before and hoped you may find a manual for yoru system online to help troubleshoot. Meanwhile, your reservior is prolly a part fo the steerign wheel housing and it does have a fill cap if fluid is low.

TRY going to www.seatechmarineproducts.com they have PDF manuals that you can download for the SeaStar Steering Systems. It can be as simple as clogged ports, valves or dirty lines or possible bad seals. Nevertheless, I believe you will find a section for Troubleshooting.

GOOD LUCK"

"Matt:

Cholly's link is

"Matt:

Cholly's link is a great reference if you have the seastar stuff. That material will give you the bleeding procedure (which shows the check for air in system). Unless you know otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid. I'd suggest the first step as check the whole system for leaks, especially at the fittings, and the tubing for any chafing that may have worn it thin. The only areas where i've had issues are 1) shaft seal, under wheel, and 2) steering cylinder's ram seal leaking (due to excess friction in the pivot/mount system).

Black plastic hydraulic tubing is a good indicator of the older seastar's (though they did offer a copper line set, I've haven't seen one). copper is an indicator you may have a Hynautic system. all of those i've seen had a pressior resevoir.

good luck and take pictures if possible."

"I have Telflex with copper fr

"I have Telflex with copper from front helm, to the 2nd helm and on to the transom, black nylon/rubber from there to engines. Just installing a cylinder on my 9.9 Yami kicker as well as we speak with a liquid tie bar valve."

rollie: glad to hear somebody

rollie: glad to hear somebody has used the copper lines. around here they are described as "taking too much time". I thought two things make them less commonly used: 1) price relative to the plastic and 2) you need the flex lines at the cylinder so why "splice in" the copper?

"Copper vs plastic is a matter

"Copper vs plastic is a matter of preference. In opinion, copper seems more durable but like mako mentions you still have to worry about flex connections to absorb ongoing vibrations. Twofold with copper you have other corrosion considerations. Personally, I am satisfied that plastic is just as good, if not better. Less corrosion factor, parts are cheaper, no isolation or vibration considerations since plastic is flexible and the most important is the ease to FIX a problem of broken line, etc. if it happens on the water. Not so easy with copper. Just my opinion, it' not a rule here. That's all."

Back