Logo

Replacing Hydralic Cylinder seal

1stboat

Regular Contributor
"I took my boat in for service

"I took my boat in for service and they noticed that one of two hydraulic cylinder's, that raise and lower the drive, rubber seal is starting to poke out a bit where the piston goes in and out. There is no fluid leaking out.

I didn't have him redo it because its been that way for a while and the drive has worked fine. Is this a job I should have them do or is it something I can do?"

"El Pescador,

I agologize f

"El Pescador,

I agologize for the delay. I had forgotten that I had posted this question while doing other boating chores. I decided to re-upholster the entire inside of my boat due to wood that was found to be rotted out. I am up to my arse in wood,foam, vinyl, t-clips,staples, and whatever million other thing need to re-upholster a boat.

To answer your question; I have a 1994 VP duo prop 5.7 Gi. I believe the drive is a 280. The cylinders that raise and lower the drive are black and not attached at the drive itself like newer models. The "base" of the cylinders where the shiny pistons come out of are attached to the metal frame the drive pivots up and down on."

"1st boat, this may be your bo

"1st boat, this may be your boat's transom shield.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_280_POWER_TRI M/dm/cart_id.173474078--category_id.333215--qty_310997.0--session_id.480075658-- store_id.366--view_id.328143--viewcart.long

If this is the case, replacement cylinders are not cheap as you can see. However, the servicing of those cylinders is covered in the 3600 Seloc repair manual (1968-1991), pages 9-13 to 9-16 (it is not rocket science). You may want to have a look at the manual, then decide if you are up to doing the task yourself."

Back