Logo

Identifying unknown Caterpillar engine

S

Shu Hadjiatanassov

" We purchased a used (app

" We purchased a used (approx 20 yo) Caterpillar engine. It's
a six cylinder, allegedly 380-400 hp machine. (Apparently
there is also a similar 8 cylinder version as on the timing
cover there are instructions for 6- and 8- cylinder tuning.)
Now the first problem that we have is that we cannot even
identify the engine model. We are located in Bulgaria where
marine engines in general and especially Caterpillars are
not very popular. So asking around doesn't seem to help. I
got few numbers from various locations on the engine but
they all turned out to be part numbers. (I found dealers on
the net selling these parts.) I have number of questions:

-- Whereabout should I look for a serial number? So far
I was unsuccessful locating a S/N.

-- Do I actually need it? Is there any way to find out
model number provided we locate the S/N?

-- Any other ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks a lot,

-- Shu "

" Shu,

There should be a na

" Shu,

There should be a nameplate on the engine with the model number and serial number.

I the 380-400 HP range, I would guess it is a D342 or D343 engine.

Do you know the bore and stroke? The D343 is 137mm x 167mm.

Regards,
Andrew "

Sorry for the long silence.

Sorry for the long silence.

We have spent a lot of time trying to locate a serial number or a model number. No luck. Even if it is there we did not find it. It's an old engine after all and a plate could've been ripped off or who knows...

Bore or stroke is not available. I would be reluctant to open the engine before we have at least a set of spare gaskets.

But your note may be actually very usefull. What I will do is get the specifications and may be pictures and stuff for D342 and D343 and check if it matches our engine. It sounds like a good place to start from. I will post results but it will take me some time (away from engine currently).

Thanks Andrew!

-- Shu

why dont you send a photo to

why dont you send a photo to cat at their web site and they will id it.

" Ron,

One of the things th

" Ron,

One of the things the things that I have found with big companies like Caterpillar is that they do not communicate with the end user. If fact I would be willing to bet (although I have not tried it with them), that if you went to Cat's web site cat.com you will not find a way to email them... and if you do it would only be through some sort of customer feedback form and not a true email address... so not opportunity to attach a picture. And the chances of them responding are slim.

No particular critisism of Cat... it seems to be what all the big companies are doing (not just marine).

Regards,
Andrew "

" I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN CLSSI

" I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN CLSSIFIEDS FOR PAIR OF 3208T OR TA 350-450HP FOR APROX 3 WEEKS EITHER REBUILT W/ WARRANTEE OR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, FEW HOURS. FOUND A FEW ADDS THAT MEET MY NEEDS FROM DIFFERENT ENGINE BROKERS. HOWEVER,WHEN I ASK QUESTIONS ON THE VALIDITY OF POSTED HOURS OF USE, YEAR BUILT, ETC.I GET AN EMAIL W/ EITHER SORRY SOLD (ALTHOUGH ADD POSTED THAT SAME DAY), OR GIVE ME UNTIL TOMORROW AND TOMMORROW BECOMES TOMORROW OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I AM JUST CURIOUS TO KNOW IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANY ONE ELSE ? ARE THE ADDS POSTED BY THESE DIESEL ENGINE BROKERS BOGUS? CAN'T UNDERSTAND. NEED SOME FEEDBACK I MAY BE WRONG. STILL LOOKING FOR THEM ENGINES!!! JOE /U.G.L.I. "

Back