Logo

Just bought a 66 Owens 30b with twin 318bs

alleykat

"You would'nt believe the

"You would'nt believe the deal I got, but the port motor needs a head gasket. Is there a way to identify if it's a wedge motor or standard 318 other than the casing number? The boat is stored at a marina that is a good 65 miles from my house and I need to get that motor fired to relocate her closer to home. The motors are rated at 225hp if that helps. The motor is on a closed cooling system which would affect the type of gasket I need right? Thanks for your help guys..."

"Here's what the later 318

"Here's what the later 318s look like. You're going to have to decide which one you have, the older or newer ones. Both had 225 hp ratings.

Jeff
248453.jpg
"

"Well I think I found the holy

"Well I think I found the holy grail. The gentleman I purchased her from called about an hour ago and said he located some of the documents that came with the boat when he purchased her. In the contents of this folder was this...
248462.jpg
cover"">

248463.jpg
specs"">
This means that there has been an engine swap and would be safe to assume that the 318's should be the LA or non poly or "wedge" engines , atleast that's my train of thought."

"I'm not the Guru but,
I

"I'm not the Guru but,
I believe that the "LA" is the designate for the long stroke engine (the 360 cid)
My Slick (in 1976) could of come with a 318 / 225hp (4 bbl.), but instead, was set up with the 318 / 195hp (2 bbl. Carb.)

I don't think that its common to hear of a 318 referred to as 235hp. but the holy grail don't lie.

Jeff, your up to bat.

Fred 156-M"

"If that's the manual that

"If that's the manual that came with the engines, then they are the newer ones (thank heavens! Manifolds for polyshpericals are hard to find.)

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff, I was hoping tha

"Thanks Jeff, I was hoping that they would be the newer casting. The only thing is I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the manual could be a hoax that someone collected over the years and threw in with the paperwork for the vessel. I'll be headed down to where she's moored tomorrow morning to look at the model number stamped on the blocks just to be sure before ordering the gasket kit.

With these motors being on a closed cooling system can I just use an automotive gasket kit or is it necessary to go with the marine kit?"

Automotive stuff is fine in th

Automotive stuff is fine in this case. Got my fingers crossed for you!

Jeff

PS: Be sure to take your camera along.

"Hey Chris
Here's a Chrys

"Hey Chris
Here's a Chrysler place that I just spent hours.
318 polys "A"
318 new style "LA"
V-16 HEMI's

"The A engine was built through 1967, actually, with 1966 being the last year in the U.S. and 1967 in Canada. The US-built 1967 LA 318 has engine number prefix C318 while the Canadian 1967 poly A 318 has engine prefix CC318. (The "C" stands for the 1967 model year while the second "C" for the poly stands for Canada)"
Bill Watson

"The hottest version of the early A engine was the 1957 Fury 318 with dual quads producing 290 horsepower, the same rating as a 340 6-pack. The lesser versions were rated at 230 hp (318 2v) and 260 hp (318 4v, made from 1958 to 1962). The 1959 Dodge "Red Ram" engine was part of the A family (325 or 326 cid)."
Joshua Skinner

Poly 318
248495.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html

"The LA (for Light A) engine was developed with, you guessed it, a wedge chamber,"
Under the subtitle About the poly engines it says "From the outside, the poly can be easily identified by a wavy-edge valve cover." but this section does NOT mention the 318 cid. just the Polyspherical Head V8 Engines: 277, 301, 331, and 354

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html

like Jeff says , take a camera

Fred 156-M"

"I took the camera along and n

"I took the camera along and never got it out of the truck, DOH! The valve cover's are straight as an arrow though, and the great news is I got the starboard motor fired within 3 minutes of having the battery charger hooked up. It runs really strong and doesn't smoke or knock. I couldn't find the casting number on the block, but I did find the intake casting number 2846707 which after a little research proves to be the LA block. I was running short on time, and wanted to make sure I could move her on the next day above 35 degrees. Not to mention it's sleeting and windy here today. They are identical to Jeff's photo at the top, black valve covers even. Really wish I had noted your post script Jeff, little ticked I didn't take pics. Thanks guy's. "

"Looks like you lucked out, M

"Looks like you lucked out, Manifolds for the old motor are rare as hen's teeth.

Jeff

PS: I know they made a 318 in the old style since I drove a bunch of them as rental cars. Used to drag race them every Sunday (which, as you might expect, is against the rental car agreement}. I used to care a few tools in my luggage to "tune 'em up". I know: shame on me!"

"Hey Jeff I was just looking a

"Hey Jeff I was just looking at the water in cylinder thread. The picture on the left is the same as my twins. That would be the LA correct? Just looking for some reassurance I guess. By the way I dont think we should talk about me havin any good luck with this vessel, I had a touch of good luck with my last marine acquisition and it was all down hill from there.
I cant thank you guys enough.

Chris"

I'll be making a 55 mile v

I'll be making a 55 mile voyage to the Richmond Yacht Basin tomorrow. How many RPM's do you think are safe running only the starboard engine?

"Well I made the trip successf

"Well I made the trip successfully today. The starboard motor ran strong for about 3 hours and then all the sudden lost 75% of it's oil pressure. Stopped checked the dip stick, and it was dry. I checked the oil before I started it this morning and it was a little shy of the full line (the top one) It wasnt smoking, and there arent any signs of oil in the hull. (pooling, or oil in the bilge water when ejected overboard) I wound up putting 4 quarts in to fill it back up and complete the voyage. Any thoughts as to where the oil is going?"

"If you could what was the dis

"If you could what was the distance,your speed and time to destination not including stopped time just curious I have no clue were that oil would have gone if it was burning it you should have been able to tell did you check compression on that engine,you could check the cooling system for oil...."

"I have NO practical experienc

"I have NO practical experience in the matter, but if an oil cooler failed,,,, the oil would be discharged out with the exhaust.
Check for oil residue around the exhaust.
4 qt in 3 hrs (180 minutes)=
1 qt (32 oz) per 45 minutes (same RPM & load)=
3/4 of an oz per minute.

That should leave a good size oil slick.

I'm not sure about the factory set-ups , but the after market set-ups have a restricting thermostat device that won't let the oil flow to the cooler UNTIL the oil is up to temperature
so keep that in mind when your checking.

Fred 156-M"

"Thanks guy's. I found the

"Thanks guy's. I found the oil leak around the dip stick tube and sealed it up. On to the port motor. When I first purchased her I was told it was a head gasket (easy enought right), but I fired it up this weekend to hear either the main bearing is shot or a rod knocking HARD. I have had a few rebuilds done and have paid the price each time (getting the "friendly" price on labor only to have it made up on parts). I'm thinking just a swap this time. I found a 318 out of an R.V. for 200$ and it runs very well. Can I just pull everything from the top end from my motor bolt it on to the new one and drop it in?

Thanks,
Chris Alley"

"Raw water cooled? If so, re

"Raw water cooled? If so, replace all of the freeze out plugs with brass, and use marine (stainless) head gaskets.

If FWC, use the marine cam and distributor (in either case).

Jeff"

""<font color=""0000ff"">

""<font color=""0000ff""> It wasnt smoking, and there arent any signs of oil in the hull. (pooling, or oil in the bilge water when ejected overboard) I wound up putting 4 quarts in to fill it back up and complete the voyage. Any thoughts as to where the oil is going?</font>"

Seems to me the 4qt of oil would make quite a mess. Where did the oil go??

I'm going to put an oil only absorb mat or 2 under each engine, as a precaution.
It will save a lot of cleanup if something minor happens.

Fred 156-M"

"Thanks Jeff, I kinda thought

"Thanks Jeff, I kinda thought about the freeze plugs. I'm just going to use the block and swap over everything else from the existing block. I'm still learning about these, she has an antifreeze reservoir does that mean fw or Raw water cooled?

Hi Fred, I didnt mention I found the oil and it was pooled in the hull, a rib towards the bow and when I pull this motor this weekend I may put four of those mats under each just so I dont have to go through that again.

Thanks guy's,
Chris"

That anti-freeze resrvoir mean

That anti-freeze resrvoir means you're in good shape! It's a fresh water cooled motor. Just swap everything over and go boating!

Jeff

Back