Logo

%6088 115 merc farts and sputters over 3000 rpm

hassleme

"G`day all, new to the forum b

"G`day all, new to the forum but have used your advice on many occasions. Problem is at 3000 and under rpm this motor purrs like a kitten. push the throttle up a tad and she starts to race and drop in revs and if you push her right up she just keeps sputtering till you drop her down to under 3000rpm. Love the forum and hoping I can get an answer to this sticky problem.

Thanx guys"

"sounds like its running out o

"sounds like its running out of fuel/lean. If one carb/jet is clogged that cyl is not getting fuel or oil. You must clean all carbs so you don't cook the engine. You can try pumping the fuel bulb while running to see if it helps. If it does its a fuel supply problem, tank, hose, fuel pump. If you try this its at your own risk, engine damage can happen from clogged carbs."

"Alex, after you have taken JB

"Alex, after you have taken JB's advice, if the problem persists you may have to have the ignition system checked (or do it yourself).

You say "sputtering". If it is actually "missing" you could have an ignition issue.

Your model has both high and low speed stator windings. The point where the ignition switches over in drawing power from one set to the other is not a "definate" point, but generally somewhere in the mid 2000 rpm range.

You could have a situation where the low speed windings are working fine but the high speed are "leaking power" or grounding themselves out.

Often times a simple resistance test with an ohm meter can determine whether they are working or not, but if they are "sorta working" then they need to be tested with a DVA Meter - usually not something the average guy has laying around the workshop...

If you have to go that route, I can post the test charts for ya..."

Would you guys recommend runni

Would you guys recommend running it on the choke when it starts to play up to determine fuel vs electrical.assuming fuel bowl is full.

"Graham, I forgot to mention

"Graham, I forgot to mention that as I was bringing the boat back to trailer it, it started to do this in the mid 2000 range. Being an electrician I have a number of different test sets so I would deeply appreciate the test charts mate. JB, I have had the carbies off and cleaned and serviced them when I did the impellor when I first found the problem.
Thank you very, very much for your rapid replies to this post.
I give you a very Aussie `Beaudymates`"

"If you can get your hands on

"If you can get your hands on either a DVA meter or an adapter, here's the chart with specs...

248322.jpg
"

"Just a huge thank you to yous

"Just a huge thank you to youse guys. Tried the spark plug test as JB suggested and all ran well. Decided to remove the flywheel and take a look underneath. Lo and behold the high speed coil casing had been so hot they were disfigured and pitted severly. Replaced the stator, took her out for a family outing and pure heaven, that throaty roar at 5000 rpm. Isn`t that mercury note(growl) fantastic at full throttle. Again my deepest thanks to the brains of this forum."

"Absolutely - that "whaaaa

"Absolutely - that "whaaaaaa" sound running wide open and the distinctive oil/gas "smell" from a 2 stroke, is the essence of what boating is supposed to be
"

Back