Logo

1980 DT65 Propeller Fit Problems

colriverrat

Contributing Member
Hello I'm new to this boar

Hello I'm new to this board.
I just acquired a 1980 DT65. It was in a repair shop for a lower unit reseal. I paid $250 for the re-seal job and brought the motor home. The repair shop told me the propeller stop bushing was ripping up the prop shaft seal. I ordered the only prop stop bushing browns point marine listed for that motor.

The bushing is the same as the one on the motor. It will destroy the prop shaft seal if I install it. Are the bushings different for 1980? The part number sent to me was for a 1985 DT65. The parts person said this number superseded the 1980 part number.

Could the repair shop have incorrectly installed the prop shaft seal? The seal garter spring is facing the prop.

I've tied 3 times now I ca

I've tied 3 times now I cant get the file to load. If I make it any smaller the pic will be of such poor quality it'l be worthless.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
247459.jpg
Propeller Parts"">
Here are all the parts I have for the prop. The large silver washer is NOT part.
247460.jpg
prop stop bushing"">
This is the prop shaft seal side of the bushing that is causing all the greif"

"
247464.jpg
propand parts"">
This is all the parts I have to install the prop.
247465.jpg
installedprop"">
This is the installed prop. Note the gap between the prop and the lower unit. I'm sure the exhaust gas will exit at this gap and create more problems"

the seal could be bad

i wou

the seal could be bad

i would have them fixed i wih the prop in

looks like you have all the right parts

"looks like you have something

"looks like you have something on wrong

the silver washer, top left is where now on prop?

the black one with 4 tabs goes on the end of propshaft, this is what the lock washer is locked onto"

"I am a certified Auto Tech, I

"I am a certified Auto Tech, I've never seen an oil seal installed with the spring side facing out. The garter spring on all automotive applications always faces the grease. I've installed 1000's of seals in many different makes of cars and trucks.

Do you think the repair shop put the seal in backwards? If the seal was installed with the metal side facing the prop, It may allow more clearance for the stop bushing.

My biggest problem is the repair shop is 300+ miles away. It's a long story on how I got this motor."

"The silver one is the propell

"The silver one is the propeller shop bushing. It goes on first, here is side of that washer that faces the prop
247469.jpg
propbush

"Is there a major difference b

"Is there a major difference between the the 1980 lower unit I have, and the 1985 lower unit browns point sent me parts for?"

"It would seem so to me. Not 1

"It would seem so to me. Not 1 of the part #'s for my lower unit match, the 1985 model year. All my years part numbers are NO LONGER AVAILABLE or have been superseded by the 1985 and up.

I'm just about ready to take this Jap POS and use it for an anchor. The 1980 DT65 seems like a no parts available, out dated, unrepairable piece of S+#T."

"That really sucks. I have a 1

"That really sucks. I have a 1973 55HP Chrysler outboard. I can sill find every single internal and external part on that motor.

My year lower unit only shows 1 propeller shaft oil seal. The shop that re-sealed my lower unit used a 1985 parts kit. If those hacks used 2 oil seals on that shaft, it would cause all the problems I'm having."

The good news is I found the p

The good news is I found the parts individually at Browns Point. There is no "Kit" available. I'll update in a couple weeks when I fix the thing myself.

Boatworks will find out the meaning of another American favorite term; "Small Claims Court".

Thank you. You have been a big

Thank you. You have been a big time help. Is there anywhere you know of that might carry obsolete parts for this motor? There is a snap ring and a propeller seal that are Discontinued and I need them.

The propeller seal looks like some type of ring that covers the gap I have between the lower unit housing and the propeller.

"The 80 model is so freaking m

"The 80 model is so freaking much different nobody is familiar with the bastard. The part I need SEALS THE AIR GAP BETWEEN THE PROPELLER AND THE LOWER UNIT. IT HAS NOTHING/NOTHING TO DO WITH SEALING OIL or GREASE or LUBE. It directs the exhaust gas THROUGH THE PROPELLER HUB.

Go to www.brownspoint.com click the PDF file for the 1980 DT65. Then pan down to page F-4. The part I freaking need is #63.

The part is not a snap rig, or oil seal, or retainer of any kind. It is more of a sleeve that keeps exhaust gas from escaping in front of the propeller and causing aeration.

I don't know how the hell else to explain the part. I know FOR CERTAIN I DO NOT HAVE IT AND I DEFENATLY NEED IT."

glad you found that out
i rea

glad you found that out
i really do not touch the older stuff
what i have found out is the stuff breaks!!!

"
247501.jpg
propgap"">
This is the area I'm talking about. Someone, sometime, lost, broke forgot to install or threw away the part that goes here.

One last question, If you had to choose between this 1980 DT65 Suzuki Motor or a 1973 Chrysler 55HP Motor, which one would you keep alive??? I'm looking more for reliability that anything. The Chrysler motor is the old points type magneto ignition."

"yes i see the gap, not good

"yes i see the gap, not good

as for the motors, well they are both tired
i hate points"

Back