Logo

Do you fogg your motors

tysdad

Just want to get a feeling on

Just want to get a feeling on if I should be fogging my DF 175. I use it at least once a month during winter months...

"Its usually a good idea to, h

"Its usually a good idea to, however if you use it more often i wouldn't. Judgement call!"

"I live in Virginia, where the

"I live in Virginia, where the winters are usually mild to moderate at best and I stopped winterizing my engines because I can't stand fogging oil and the mess it makes on everything. There are basically two schools of thought on this subject. I am of the opinion that winterizing is not a necessity unless the engine is going to be laid up for more than 6 months at a time. I usually just run mine every few weeks and I have never had an issue related to winterization or failure to do so. I have relatives that swear by fogging oil and the whole winterization process, but I think it is just hype intended to sell winterization products. I do use Sta-bil and now Startron in my new boat since it is apparently very susceptible to water intrusion. I will also use CRC on the engine and make sure external parts are properly lubricated for the winter.

Take J-I-T's advice and avoid the fogging oil."

i never did until i got to 11

i never did until i got to 11 motors and the wintertime i only take out 2 or so i started fogging therest as they sit the winter but if your going t take it out every few weeks just keep your gas if portable inside avoids water and you dont have to use stabil i hate those products run all the gas out of your carbs or out of the system put a fuel fiting on that not on your hose to make sure you RUN IT OUT OF GAS INSTEAD RUN IT IN TO A VACUUM keep motor inside if possible and after you flush it tilt it downand after all the water drains out crank it over a few seconds it get the water out of the water pump housing keep your gear oil changed

"For my 2004 DF50 I asked a Ce

"For my 2004 DF50 I asked a Certifed Sazuki mechanic about how to properly winterize a four stroke (since I have never owned one)...he said not to fog as it would mess up EFI compentnts in the engine. All he said to do was change the oil and filter plus add an oil stabilizer, change lower unit oil and run fuel stabilzer through the engine. As far as a fuel stabilizer goes I use Stabil and I run it in my tank with every fill up and keep the tank toped off to prevent condensation and have had no problems with "last years" gas during a new boating season! I lived in Maine and kept the boat outside (covered) and never ran into any problems."

If you run your engine every 2

If you run your engine every 2 weeks all you need is stabil in the fuel to keep it from going stale. Firing the engine up regularily keeps lubrication on all the important internal parts and prevents corrosion. Regular fire ups also tips you off to any possible problems and would give you an early rather than later heads up. Nothing worse than a problem to deal with right before fishing season starts. I also pull every wire plug connector on the engine and apply the appropriate electrical grease and pull out (1 at a time) all the important lower leg and powerhead to leg bolts and apply marine grade nevr-seize. Never had to use heat to get things apart and no broken bolts. Its all about a regular easy to do routine that will save all kinds of grief....that we read about on this site.

Back