Logo

Need swivel riser

buick430

Regular Contributor
"Hello On of the swivel risers

"Hello On of the swivel risers on my 360 has develope a crack and external water leak. I was wondering where I could get a replacement at the best price.

thanks, will"

Will:

Top or bottom half?

Will:

Top or bottom half? I have a good used bottom half if you're interested.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for the offer but

Jeff thanks for the offer but its the top half that is cracked. I will check marineengine.

"Well I went to a boat yard an

"Well I went to a boat yard and they had an old set of 318s they had pulled out of an abandoned old woody so he offered them to me for 100 for the pair. I would have taken the logs also because it was all in really good shape but it was the way early style 318.

thanks, will"

"Will:

Listen carefully: DO

"Will:

Listen carefully: DO NOT loosen the bolts that allow the riser to swivel unless it absolutely will not line up correctly. If you do have to swivel it, let me know BEFORE you install it. I will save you lots of work and possibly your engine.

Jeff"

"Jeff whats the secret Ive alr

"Jeff whats the secret Ive already disassebled the elbows from the swivel risers. I have new o-ring kits and everything is cleaned up. Is there something special to sealing the o-rings?

I wont be at the boat for assembly till turkey day.
thanks, will"

"The O-rings--especially the i

"The O-rings--especially the inside one--love to allow water to leak into the motor unless the surfaces are PERFECTLY clean and undamaged. I bought a new riser and elbow, installed it in July, and it was leaking water into the motor by September. The O-ring seat wasn't perfect--and this was a new part!

I now epoxy the whole works together, and it never leaks again. The way to do this (I learned the hard way) is to:

1. Locate the assembly in place and mark where the parts line up.

2. Remove the parts and clean every surface where the O-rings AND that stainless sleeve go.

3. Using slow cure epoxy (ah-hem!) coat the O-rings, their mounting surfaces, the stainless ring and the place where it seats, with epoxy.

4. Assemble the unit, aligned to your marks, and snug tighten the bolts. (I had to custom grind an old open end wrench to get at that one underneath.)

5. When the epoxy has cured overnight, tighten the bolts all the way.

And when you install the assembly, be sure the gasket face on the manifold is perfectly clean. Any old gasket left behind will cause a leak.

Jeff"

"Epoxy, Really?? There were re

"Epoxy, Really?? There were remnants of some RTC sealer there. What Stainless sleave are you talking about?

thanks, will"

"It's in the center of the

"It's in the center of the two pieces. I pulled a really old assembly apart and it had "disappeared", either rotted away or was left ut by the previous mechanic.

Jeff

PS: You can buy them separately."

Back