Logo

Evinrude Sailor

jonjon

Contributing Member
Just bought a Evinrude Sailor

Just bought a Evinrude Sailor 69B67E. Australian compliance plate states 6 HP . Looking at the numbers would say 1969 model =(69)... (6)= 6HP.. Would appreciate any help on the ID. This would help me locate a manual. I find these gems as i work/ travel and send them back to a buddy back home.

"It is indeed a 6hp but from 1

"It is indeed a 6hp but from 1979.

The series of numbers beginning 63B, 64B etc through to 69B are all 6hp models from 1973 to 1979 but dont ask for an explanation!

If it was made in Belgium that's what the B stands for but if it wasn't then ?????."

"IT could be a transition prod

"IT could be a transition production before establishing their world wide numbering system. I should be safe looking for a 6 HP 1979 manual and if luck is with me, a Sailor! [ Humm ]. Been considering buying some Seagulls. But have to stop buying sometime. Will start a two new post on compatability with other 6 hp Evinrudes'motors / gear boxes and a light twin. Thanks"

"IIRC the 6hp was dropped from

"IIRC the 6hp was dropped from the range after 1979 but reintoduced in 1984 My guess is that the "Sailor" is a version similar to my later Yachtwin or the Johnson Sailmaster.

They came with a long leg but exhaust outlets at the bottom of the extension (that enables the prop to be deeper but without increasing the back pressure on the exhaust and also prevents the exhaust gases being drawn into the prop when going astern), a broad blade prop with a smaller pitch than a standard one to give a high thrust for a displacement hull and a rectifier as standard for battery charging.

This link http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Vic43/Forums%202008/DSCF0289.jpg" shows the bottom of my 1984 6 hp Yachtwin (what appears to be a normal exhaust outlet behind the prop is in fact blanked off)"

"The 1984 must have solved som

"The 1984 must have solved some of the short comings of the earlier sailor. On mine the exhaust dumps behind the prop. Bought a Chrysler sailor for a friend. The prop on the Chrysler would be at least 10 inch say 6 inch pitch. Far larger than the Evinrude. At some stage will trial on the same boat to test performance. Here say, the Chrysler has the gear box of a 40 HP model."

Back