Logo

Johnson 1989 110HP Starter Motor Not Engaging Flywheel

"Hi Moreton.

I knew I could

"Hi Moreton.

I knew I could rely on you for response.

Now, where is this clutch in pinion assy?

How do u know it is burned out?

How to change the start pinon assy?

Any schematic?

Should I change/replace anything else whilst I 'm at it - such as brushes, etc?

Cameron"

I am also told the bendix is s

I am also told the bendix is stripped.

What is the bendix?

The ring gear could also be worn and not working.

What is the bendix and ring gear ?

Cameron

I am told the clutch starters

I am told the clutch starters didn't come out untill 1995 ish.

My motor is 1989.

Does this change anything Moreton.

Would a set of brushes and new bottom bush need replacing?

Cameron

"The teeth on the pinion gear

"The teeth on the pinion gear look chewed up. replace it if that's the case or you will soon have more trouble.
Also it does not appear to run back down the worm on the motor shaft freely. Clean that all up so that it does. replace the spring if that's knackered as well.

diagram here: http://shop2.evinrude.com/Scripts/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E%3A%5CEmpartWeb%5CDa ta%5C41%5C432895%5C08.TIF&ilSC=39&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Pinion is #4 but called "drive assembly" in the parts list aka "bendix"
"Ring gear" refers to the teeth around the flywheel but unlike in a car they do not form a replaceable part. If they get damaged you'll need a whole new flywheel at $800(US)"

"Even the 'old' ones h

"Even the 'old' ones have a friction 'clutch' inside, and as Vics said, teeth badly chewed up which will prevent the pinion to engage properly into teeth on flywheel. If not changed, soon You will have a starter that keeps on running with the flywheel - an unregulated alternator, and everything burns up."

"That bendix assembly does hav

"That bendix assembly does have a clutch setup within it. Replace it as Mort suggested even if the clutch is okay..... the teeth of the gear are worn bad.

Also, after replacing the bendix gear, check the teeth of the flywheel. If they are also chewed up, beveled bad due to the worn bendix, then you face another problem, meaning possible replacment of the flywheel.

And again, also..... check to make sure that the teeth of the new bendix gear are properly engaging the flywheel teeth, not just simply grabbing the edge of the flywheel teeth.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

The clutch is an internal comp

The clutch is an internal component of the bendix gear. It is not shown nor explained. It's purpose is to take up shock as it suddenly engages the stationary flywheel.

You will not find any notice or pictures of the clutch in any manual.

Back