Logo

Yachtwin question for VicS

lucky_bum

"New thermostat and impeller k

"New thermostat and impeller kit installed. We still have the massive exhaust leak fro0m under the cover.. Seems to be more in the front lower, below the carb. When we had the gear case off we saw a plug in the exhaust pipe above the prop as we reassembled. What and why do we have this??? Could this be the problem ? No where for the exhaust to go but back up the leg and out where ever it can find a place like between the extention..??"

"Amazingly I had never noticed

"Amazingly I had never noticed this plug (only had the engine for 23 years) but I saw it on one of the parts diagrams only a few days ago! Been out to the garage and checked mine and yes it is plugged.

The exhaust outlets are the holes at the bottom the leg extension that you can see clearly in the photo HERE It is a different extension to the one fitted to the ordinary longshaft model, the idea being that when going astern the exhaust gas is not drawn back into the prop. (thats an '84 model)

Quite where your exhaust leak is I cannot figure out but if it is from below the carb it must be from the joint between the leg and the crankcase I think. There is gasket there but it is shared with the joint between the crankcase and the inner exhaust pipe.(I was not sure about that gasket before)

The joint is held by 6 bolts with 3/8" AF heads.

The other thing perhaps, this is a long shot, if the cover #70 over the gearshift mechanism were missing or broken and also the grommet #102 around the shift rod where it enters the foot below the steering swivel bracket it would be possible for exhaust gases to find their way back that way maybe.
The diagram HERE shows those parts.

If nobody on this forum can help I suggest you try the evinrude/johnson forum at iBOATS"

"Thanks Vic as this gives me s

"Thanks Vic as this gives me something to work with. From your pix I see you also are a sailor. I have gone back to my roots in sailing. Sold my stink boat and bought a 1986 222 O'Day.At my age I wish I had done this 20 years ago. Having the greatest time. As you can see by my pix I have about a 2003 5 HP 4-stroke Nissan. Nothing but a problem.. Seems these (Tohatsu made motors ) have such a tiny carb that when fuel is allowed to sit and evaporate,,, the residue,, ( crap in the gas ) clogs the low speed orifices and the idle becomes an issue. Trying to dock a motor that won't run is not fun. You can e me at [email protected] for some sailboat talk. Thanks for your help. !!!

SAILING IS NOT A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH,,, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT."

Back