Logo

Electrical Issue

dskwarok

"Hello Everyone--

Outboard:

"Hello Everyone--

Outboard: 1990 Evinrude 175 - E175TXESE

I'm guessing that these are symptoms that likely require the use of diagnostic equipment to identify the problem, which I do not have. However, I would appreciate any ideas you might be willing to share.

1. At first, I had no spark on any of the six cylinders. I turned it over for some time.
2. Finally, the spark caught and the engine fired right up. I can't explain why.
3. I launched the boat and went out on the lake. It seemed to idle a bit rough, maybe only running on 5.
4. It did not come out of the hole as usual, but ran fine at 4,000 RPMs (about an hour or so).
5. If I opened the throttle all the way, the engine started to miss and would not reach maximum RPM.
6. At one point, after stopping, it seemed to run on only 1 or 2 cylinders. This continued for 2 or 3 minutes, then other cylinders kicked in and, again, it ran fine at 4,000 RPMs, but would not reach maximum RPMs.

My limited knowledge points me to the Power Pack (http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5885&ptype=&Eng ine=&Model=). Does anyone else have any ideas? Could this be one (or a combination) of many possibilities? Thanks very much.

--Regards, David"

"ck your spark,..CHECK COMPRES

"ck your spark,..CHECK COMPRESSION,then proceed to fuel delivery,..--carbs,pump,hoses,bulb,anti-syphon valve,any restrictions."

"If that is the 60degree V blo

"If that is the 60degree V block, check the shift interupter switch on the shift linkage lower starboard side. The switch turns off spark to a bank of cylinders causing it to drop revs momentarilly to ease gear shifting.If the switch is stuck it would cause similar symptoms to yours?"

"Thanks very much to jwbmarine

"Thanks very much to jwbmarine and Shane for your time and valuable suggestions.

I'm learning that these symptoms certainly do not point to anything specific. Finding the problem will require a long methodical approach, ruling out what the problem isn't. Thanks, again. I'll post what I find out.

--Regards, David"

Back