Logo

Winterization

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
"The local marina wants 200 do

"The local marina wants 200 dollars to winterize my boat, would it be easier to do it myself??? aq125a engine with 270 outdrive. What are the proper steps to take???"

"I have an AQ125b w/ 270 and t

"I have an AQ125b w/ 270 and to winterize, I remove the hose from the outdrive that goes into the transom - NOTE POSITION OF THE HOSE CLAMP. Attach an extension to it and stick it into the gallon of antifreeze. Be sure the extension sif air-tight. Start the engine and let it suck up the antifreeze. When you see it coming out of the exhaust, it is done!

Normally it takes 1 1/2 gals. Replace the hose being careful to position the hose clamp the same way it was. If not, you could damage the bellows if the clamp head rubs against it.

Been doing this for 22 years on my boat."

"The only problem with just fe

"The only problem with just feeding the engine antifreeze through the outdrive is whether the engine is hot and the thermostat is open or not. If not open, the antifreeze will just go out the exhause and not trough the entire engine.
One way of dealing with this is to flush out any salt by just running it on fresh flush water and THEN;
-Empty the block, pumps and exhausts as noted in the manual.
-THEN fill with antifreeze through the hoses to the block and the exhausts.
This will improve the antifreeze effect and also slow down corrosion a bit.
also open the impeller housing a bit to let water out."

"The AQ125A is a fresh water c

"The AQ125A is a fresh water cooled engine, i.e. the block system is supposedly filled with antifreeze solution and does not need to be drained if it is.
Go the the following link, click on "looking for a manual" , enter AQ125A in the "engine type" field and download the owners manual. much good info in there including procedure to do this..

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines"

"Thanks Louis! That is perfect

"Thanks Louis! That is perfect for the outdrive and fresh water system. Got to mention that they ask us to drain/ fill the outdrive with fresh oil......All the way, and keep the drive in the vertical position. Also, don't forget the gas in the tank. STA-BIL is good!
I also "fog" the carb and cylinders with a fogging oil, or you can use transmission fluid till it smokes up the yard!!!"

Back