Logo

Winterizing Freshwater 3ltr Mercruiser Alpha One

robobru

"Sorry if this was posted alre

"Sorry if this was posted already, couldn't locate the thread.

Recently had my unit winterized by a shop, but would like to know if there is a link to the procedure so I can do it myself next year.
Also if there is a procedure for summerzing I would like that link as well."

"Here is something that may he

"Here is something that may help:

WINTERIZING

Aquire a Seloc or Clymer manual, or refer to the Merc manual, but essentially you need to:
-hook up water to the outdrive using muffs, and warm up for 15 minutes or so. Watch temps, oil pressure, and water flow out the exhaust ports on the transom assembly! Allow plenty of water flow. You should not see steam, and the risers should be no more than warm to the touch.
-drain the oil and change the filter while warm (a quick drain makes this much easier)
-install a new Merc filter, refill with fresh 25W40 oil and run for a short while to circulate the fresh oil; 5 minutes is good.
-fog cylinders with Storage Seal just before shutdown
-drain seawater side of cooling system; exchanger and exhaust manifold drains
-if RWC; MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERY WATER DRAIN OPENED AND DRAINED. ESPECIALLY THE BLOCK AND MANIFOLDS.
-drain and refill drive oil with Merc High Performance green. Refill from the bottom only.
-grease all drive fittings, steering fittings, gimbal fitting, and coupler fitting if possible
-check all other fluids (drive lube, coolant, power steering, trim fluid) and top up
-put some stabilizer in the gas
-park the boat and lower the drive
-remove the battery, or hook up trickle charger
-put the covers on
-grease the trailer bearings and check tire pressures
-have a beer (have 2 if you didn't make much of a mess in the bilge)

Rod"

"I agree with Rod only put sta

"I agree with Rod only put stabilizer in the fuel first thing that way when you run the motor it has a chance to go through the system. A 6pack of beer is also an essential!
proud.gif

Cheers Norm"

Back