Logo

Australian 265 Hemi inline 6 cyl engine information

rte49265

"Hi guys & girls, I have a

"Hi guys & girls, I have an Australian 265 Hemi inline 6cyl engine mated to a Volvo 270 Stern Drive in a 16ft runabout that I’m restoring, Thought I might post up some information from my knowledge of the 265 Hemi and my configuration.

I have just purchased a marine starter motor from the USA to fit this configuration (previous owner had just used Auto parts!!), what I purchased was an Arco 50109 318 V8 starter (leap of faith as no one could confirm what was needed for a 265 Hemi). It fits perfectly.

If you have a Chrysler 300 Stern Drive you may need a different starter but I don't think Chrysler Australia did enough business with Marine Engines to justify a special starter motor for the 265 Hemi, it’s almost certain that they would have cast the bell housings for both the Volvo and 300 stern drives to all take the same starter and as the 265 Hemi in a car and 318 in a car share the same starter it highly likely that Chrysler Australia used the same 318 V8 marine starter for all 265 Hemi marine engines, certainly the one I have is the same. Likewise I think the reason for the 160 tooth ring gear on the 265 Hemi in marine form is because it mates up to the Chrysler 318 marine starter, again avoiding the need for an extra inventory part, they just used a 318 Marine internally balanced flywheel and ring gear with 1 hole drilled in a different spot to fit the Hemi 265 crank.

If not already fitted a suitable Starter Relay will be required as unlike the automotive starters for Hemi 265’s the Arco 50109 318 Marine starter does not have a switching relay built and therefor an external one is required.

If you need a Marine Alternator then the Chrysler 318/360 Arco 40112 one fits, is internally regulated so you can do away with the external regulator. Again Chrysler Australia just used existing V8 parts when possible to keep costs down.

If you don't already have one your hardest part will be getting a marine distributor for a 265 Hemi, if you can source a Slant 6 marine dizzy from the US that will fit and work fine (smaller diameter cap than the Hemi 265 so it may be a little more prone to cross fire), I’ve gone a different route, I’m fitting a Ford EDIS wasted spark distributor less ignition system with megajolt programmable (via laptop) timing controller – so no dizzy to worry about loose sparks as the only spark is at the tip of the plugs inside the combustion chamber and a side benefit is that spares are easy to get and cheap.

For Fuel Pump use a marine one for a slant 6 or a Marine electric fuel pump.

For Carburetion, just get a Holley 600 marine or Carter 625 Marine carburettor and have the factory 1bbl manifold machined and 4bbl adaptor fitted or purchase an aftermarket alloy 4bbl manifold.

For those interested the Hemi 6 Cyl engine was a upright inline 6 cyl motor made by Chrysler Australia for Australian A body cars, Whilst called a Hemi in reality it was a canted valve engine with ball stud rockers. It was produced in 215cui, 245 cui and 265cui sizes from 1970 to 1981 when Chrysler Australia was sold to Mitsubishi.

The 265 engine specs were Bore 3.91” (same as bore as the 318 but uses pistons with a higher gudgeon pin position), Stroke 3.68” Valves were 1.96”in 1.6” ex. It has 7 main bearing so bottom end is extremely durable, base model rods are stronger that Chevy pink rods, and high performance engines had even stronger rods again. Oil pump internal are the same as the 318 and slant but has a different housing and shaft.

in automotive form the 265 Hemi was produced in the following configurations:

203BHP @ 4800rpm & 262ft/lb @ 2000rpm (9.5:1 comp, 256deg cam, 2bbl carter, single outlet headers) (16.7sec ¼) 3 speed auto
218BHP @ 4800rpm & 273ft/lb @ 3000rpm (9.5:1 comp, 256deg cam, 2bbl carter, dual outlet headers) (15.7 sec ¼) 3 Speed auto
248BHP @ 4800rpm & 306ft/lb @ 3400rpm (9.7:1 Comp, 256deg cam, Triple Webbers, extractors into single exhaust) (15.0sec ¼) 3 Speed manual
270BHP @ 5000rpm & 310ft/lb @3700rpm (10.0:1 comp, 272deg Cam, Triple Webbers, Extractors into Dual 2” exhaust) (14.8sec ¼) 3 Speed manual
302BHP @ 5500rpm & 320ft/lb @4300rpm (10.5:1 comp, 308 deg cam, Triple Webbers, Extractors into Dual 2” exhaust) (0-60mph 6.1sec, 0-100mph in 14.1sec, 14.4sec ¼, shifting at 6500rpm - would also rev cleanly in top gear to 6500rpm @ 132mph) 4 Speed Manual
(1/4 times were in an A Body Australian Charger ~3100lb)

Like most Chrysler engines from the 50’s to the 70’s these were over engineered and were extremely durable – you would rarely see one broken down on the side of the road, even when not maintained for many years they would get rattly in the timing chain and lifters but just keep going and going, in the 70’s and 80’s it was common to see these hit 1,000,000+ miles in taxis on LPG. In 245cui form They were also used in 2 ton dodge pickups.

I have very little info on the marine engine output other than it was rated @ 180HP – mine has the factory alloy water cooled exhaust manifold with 180 cast in to it (these can still be sourced new from at least one aftermarket manufacturer in Australia - may even be the OEM supplier).

Mine has the smaller valve head from a 245 Hemi 6 with 1.84” in and 1.5”ex valves and smaller combustion chambers and ports (giving around 9.8:1 comp) which along with a 1bbl carburettor detuned the engine to 180HP and should have increased low end torque below 2000RPM over the base 265 Hemi auto engine (they may have also used the 245 auto cam with 248deg duration as well, the 245 torque peaked at 1800rpm – I haven’t pulled rocker cover off to check timing yet). Given the age I cannot be certain that this is the factory configuration or not, it may have been modified at sometime in the past.

I’m aware of a number of ski boats that run the 265 in 302BHP or higher configuration, as far as I’m aware none of them are running stern drives, they all run either direct drive or V drive, these boats fly hitting over 70knots in 18 - 21 foot boats

Also for anyone who may have one of these and want to upgrade to a more powerful motor (318 or 360 V8). The bell housing fitted to mine will bolt straight up to a Chrysler small block (LA) - another indication that Chrysler decided to use existing parts from Chrysler V8 marine engines. This is frequently not the case with the automotive bell housings as in automotive applications the Hemi 6 Starter is mounted higher up (except for a few rare instances) than the Chrysler V8 and therefore are not a simple swap between engines. To change to a V8 in the boat in my case is simply drop in the V8 with correct marine cooling and exhaust and Dizzy for the V8, the 265 Hemi flywheel, bell housing, starter, carby and alternator will swap over.

Hope this is of some help to anyone else workingon one of these.

I've uploaded a couple of picks of a 265 Hemi, please note this is not my engine, they are picks I have found on the net - certainly not marinised properly as its using an Auto starter, fuel pump and non maranised webbers (don’t know about the dizzy but it also looks the same as an auto one). Unfortunately in Australia we do not have the USCG rules that you in the USA must meet - I'm pretty sure only commercial vessels have to meet special requirements for marinising, private recreational vessels have little or no such requirements. In any case you can at least visualise what a 265 Hemi 6cyl looks like.

Cheers
Jamie

216846.jpg
216847.jpg
216848.jpg
"

Jamie. I have a 265 factory ma

Jamie. I have a 265 factory marinesed hooked up to a 300 leg. The 265 are a D series truck motor. Chrysler Australia with the help of US engineers made it to be bullet proof. There is a guy in Brisbane who also has the set up. Good to hear your input. Jon

"Hi Jon, a little further info

"Hi Jon, a little further information for you on the Hemi 6 - I have also been under the impression that this engine was originally developed in the US as a slant 6 replacement for use in trucks - I recently found this interview with Pete Hagenbuch, a Chrysler engine development engineer who worked on the performance development of this engine, he dispels this myth.

Quote from the article:

Question posed: ”I was told that the Australian six was originally developed in North America as a truck engine but were never actually made here”

Answer: “Nope. That is absolutely false. They were developed in Highland Park. My group did the performance development; I did a lot of it myself. It was designed because Australia was getting into racing and the 225 just didn’t cut it. It was never meant to be a race engine and believe me it wasn’t. They wanted a big displacement six.”

Article is from here http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview.html

To the best of my knowledge the only Hemi 6 engine factory fitted to the D series trucks in Australia was the 245 hemi (not to say that people didn’t retro fit the 265 from a car), it differed from the 245 Hemi car engine slightly with some heavier duty components including a larger harmonic balancer.

I have attached a pic of my 300BHP Triple Webber 265 Hemi 4spd in my Australian Charger. I did a quick and rough restoration on this from the ground up in 1990 – It's unregistered at the moment and undergoing a slow thorough second restoration at present. It was my everyday driver for nearly 4 years till the beginning of 1995 and copped a flogging from every set of lights and out of every corner - any chance to give it a rev was used. Never missed a beat, started first time everytime.

In any case a very strong engine.

Cheers
Jamie

216883.jpg
"

"I knew that interview existed

"I knew that interview existed by it being mentioned on one of the hot rod sites.Never able to locate it. The problem in Australia! This fixation on Holden [GM] and Ford. That motor, as you say was Australian developed and i thought the block and the initial idea was US issue. Either way the US missed out on a real banger of a boat motor. It is a dream to work on and say to,j remove the starter motor on mine. Not like that M brand. Jon"

Back