Logo

Mariner 4 2 stroke Unknown Model Year

woody20045

"Just received a Mariner 4, 2

"Just received a Mariner 4, 2 stroke motor from a neighbor and trying to get it started. I do not know the model year. Can anyone tell me how to determine the year? The Serial # is OA867211, it was made in Japan.

Thanks"

"Hi there,

I can't give

"Hi there,

I can't give you the YOM.

But...

Be sure to replace the impeller before you get going, the old one could be brittle and fail on you.

Your fuel oil mix should be 50:1, if it's from 70's onwards. Some motors pre-70's were 25:1.

You might need to clear up the carb and consider replacing the plugs. While you're there, check the compression too.

Regards!

Benjamin."

"Hi Forrest,

there are off

"Hi Forrest,

there are official date charts available here
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/dosearch/@isnew/desc?mod=17&lang=EN& categories=Outboard$

but strangely enough your number doesn't match any on the Japan-made Mariner list. The 0A beginning (the O is probably a zero) would seem to indicate a US-made motor, but I don't know if that makes any sense?

I suppose it's possible that some part of the motor (such as the swivel bracket that has the serial # on it) might have been swapped from another unit, so the serial would be different, or even indicate an alternate model. A lot of the assemblies between the different models are interchangeable. Have you checked if the number is the same on the plug stamped on the powerhead?

From the download menus on the above site you should be able to find a manual for your engine, by selecting the year if you know it, or just downloading a few of the PDF's from likely years and seeing which one looks like your motor.

Good luck & happy boating!

Tom"

"The serial would make it an 8

"The serial would make it an 85 or 86 model.

The reason it's super difficult to find a listing for this one is because it's an Austrailian built Merc. All the parts are the same as US built models of the same vintage however.

Canadian serials are difficult to find, Aussie one's, next to impossible

Rule of thumb quick guide -

0A5xxxxxx or below = US built
0A7xxxxxx Canadian
0A8xxxxxx Austrailian
0A9xxxxxx Belgian"

"Wow, now that's why it&#3

"Wow, now that's why it's cool to have people around who actually know this stuff.
happy.gif
Thanks for the helpful clarification, Graham!"

Back