Logo

2 Liter 1990 SeaDrive V4 Timing

earlydawn

"Hello everyone,

I was dire

"Hello everyone,

I was directed to this site from the OMC site due to having an outboard. I have a V4 OMC SeaDrive Outboard that I cannot set the timing. The engine is sputtering at idle and miss firing when reved. Set TDC marks on flywheel for all cyl..used timing light to check #1 but when I turn the timing screw in or out the mark does not move. I am moving toward a bad power pack or timer base but not sure. Don't want to start replacing good parts if not needed. Bypassed onboard gas tanks ruling out bad gas. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Les"

"u have to set the timing,at W

"u have to set the timing,at WOT..otherwise,moving the timing screw does nothing..do a compression ck,spark test,and see where u r w/that first...now,the HS timing,MUST be re-set...as well as a ck of the timing pointer."

"i was thinking,they only made

"i was thinking,they only made the seadrives in the 80's.do u have a model number?"

"jwb,

Excuse my ignorance b

"jwb,

Excuse my ignorance but what does WOT mean? Is there a different adjustment for HS timing? I do have the service manual and will check then go through your steps again. The manual says the engine has a cold start advance..what controls the advance? Another question I have not been able to find an answer for..is there suppose to be a 3+- inch gap between the magnets in the flywheel or am I missing a magnet? If I am missing a magnet I don't know where it went? I have two that are loose and will re-epoxy them. Pulled each plug wire while idiling engine...engine rpm's dropped for each. I replaced waterpump...thermostats...is hotter on #1 and #3 cyl..40 deg from #2 and #4..126 deg on 1&3 and 86 deg on 2&4..pump fine..circulating...checked lines..all clear..is this normal because of the control valve position at idle? Appreciate your help.

Les"

"u have lost a magnet,..wot=wi

"u have lost a magnet,..wot=wide open throttle-
well,.u absolutely do have a 1990---
the power pack,and a temp sensor and a power coil,control quick start.
First,..replace the magnet,..needs a 7/16 gap between them.Use a good 2 part epoxy,they make a special one,..looks just like jb weld to me.
thermo,or pressure rel spring,not right on colder side,is my guess..allowing water to free flow..can u post a pic of this eng?"

"jbw,

I will be glad to pos

"jbw,

I will be glad to post a picture when I get the chance. New thermo on cold side but old diaphram..will replace. Thought I lost a magnet. Any idea where I can get a replacement? I really appreciate the help..this has been a great site for help.

Les"

"u need a magnet kit,..might a

"u need a magnet kit,..might as well get the OEM glue since u r ordering...i just replaced one last week...and the glue they send,is a tiny packet,so i recommend getting 2 .will try to find yor part #'s.."

"ok.i cant find the magnet kit

"ok.i cant find the magnet kit number..i have it,in my accessories book..will try to give u the number tomorrow.or contact a dealer."

Thanks jwb....everyone I have

Thanks jwb....everyone I have contacted has no clue where to find magnets...will wait for you. Don't have a part # for magnets just flywheel.
Les

"You can order the repair kit

"You can order the repair kit from your dealer. # 431929 for just the epoxy and 584304 for the epoxy and one magnet. ...found by searching...verify this number...got off the net.its for a v6,but since u have glued on magnets,i think,they r the same ones...VERIFY."

"by the way,...u need to look

"by the way,...u need to look very close at stator and timer base for damage...that magnet,did'nt take a taxi outa there."

"jwb,
Went to check out mags.

"jwb,
Went to check out mags...sale ended..trying to contact seller who is a mech in FLA...shows he has a lot of parts avail...will let you know. There is no evidence of any damage from missing mag..that's what had me puzzled...I just bought the boat and motor last month...hasn't been run in 4 years...owner I know...had some work done at dealer but don't think anyone has had flywheel off for a long time...said last time out on water it was sputtering and missing...same as what I am now dealing with. Engine looks good and doesn't show much use..according to his records I have...boat has been used little and in storage for a long while..plenty of corrosion that was easy to clean up...tirm wouldn't work..burnt wire..replaced...working fine..can't get the prop off after soaking with Aero Kroil...need some kind of puller to remove it..seal ok not leaking after replacing waterpump and refilling gear case but still want to get the prop off. Will let you know what happens with mags and will get a pic asap. Can't thank you enough.
Les"

"your very welcome...u can cal

"your very welcome...u can call up any BRP dealer,and get those....altho...u need to keep,that number....for THEM.!
u can go to his website.----> maxrules.com --
where r u located?.......
northshore marine,is where i get ALOT of BRP parts.....lookem up...they r near houston..."

"jwb,
In the Virginia mountai

"jwb,
In the Virginia mountains..will check out maxrules. So far been get'n parts from ebasicpower.com NC...no magnets though. Will keep you posted how things go from here.
Les"

"jwb,

Ordered magnets but t

"jwb,

Ordered magnets but this evening went to shop and looked at flywheel...every mag was loose..there are 6 3-1/8" mags. After cleaning the inside it appears all the mags are there..the marks show them all spaced apart but they will not evenly space with a 7/16 gap..3/8 works. Do you have an example of how they are placed and and what spacing? Am I missing a mag? Can't find anything about the magnet placement. By the way does northshore mean Fla?
Any help in pointing me in the right direction is as always very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Les"

"northshore marine,is a dealer

"northshore marine,is a dealership near houston...the 7/16 gap,actually is for a v6...i will look today in book an see what i can find,for a v4----------
look on this website---------rapair.com---spelling,is correct.and see what u can find,and u might try cdi ignitions,same place.."

"actually,in my OUTBOARD,books

"actually,in my OUTBOARD,books,,..the flywheel on both a 90 and a 92 show to be permanent ,built in magnets....for a V4...so i am a little confused my self...but,i would space them at 3/8 and see how it wks out..ck the center,timer ring while your at it,since u have glued on magnets,i'm sure the timer ring is too,and i just had to reglue my own...if u can twist it ,it needs re-gluing.."

"jwb,
The timer base is indep

"jwb,
The timer base is independent and has a groove that allows it move. There is a screw adjustment that had been painted for correct setting...it fell off when removing the base. I removed the base to clean and inspect and will have to readjust. It sits below the stator. I had assumed that was the way to control timing setting? When your saying the center timer ring...is that suppose to be a part on the flywheel?
Les"

"ck the center,timer ring whil

"ck the center,timer ring while your at it,since u have glued on magnets,i'm sure the timer ring is too.Timer RING,not timer base.I am familiar,w/where the timer base sits.
The timer ring,..if u pull the flywheel,...it is in the center,of flywheel,and operates,the timer BASE."

"jwb,

Been talking to cdiel

"jwb,

Been talking to cdielectronics as you mentioned..the tech said they were evenly spaced north to south and the starting location looking down at the key slot for the flywheel mattered but he didn't have a flywheel for this engine to say where the first magnet was placed..right or left and what distance from the key slot. Any idea? I would think the V6 or V4 are the same but don't know. Would you have something to look at?
Les"

"see if u can poss see where t

"see if u can poss see where they were before..space them at 3/8 and see if they fit,evenly spaced...i would sure try to locate them where they were before,..and glue the hell outa them,and try it..."

"jwb,

That's what I did

"jwb,

That's what I did...putting it on this afternoon..my wiring for the power pack and everything else is all good except I have a black wire that doesn't show on diagram and two reds also that show and are not there..it show two purple wires together and the only ones left that I have concern about are the black and purple. They have to go together...there the only ones left...will see what happens...let you know how everything works out."

Back