Logo

1984 Mercury 98HP Shift control with remote start

hondo89

"I have a '84 Mercury, 9.8

"I have a '84 Mercury, 9.8HP S/N 6519101 and I'm trying to hook up the control cables. The throttle side was a piece of cake. Shift side, another story. Is this possible; it seems the starter is in the way? Is there an "attaching kit" I need? Any help (diagram, picture, website, etc.) would be appreciated as this is my first venture into boat ownership."

Thanks JB. The site has a nic

Thanks JB. The site has a nice exploded view but doesn't really help with explaining the actual connection of the cable. If I were to attach the barrel of the control cable to the shift control lever then when the control lever moves forward the barrel interferes with the bottom cowl. Anyone out there have picture you could send me of an existing set-up that I could copy? Thanks again.

"The barrel is attached in the

"The barrel is attached in the hole at the front off the engine and locked with a plate and screw.
Also you'll need another end cap on the cable, this end cap is connected to the shift control lever.

Now another problem comes up, shift operation is now reversed, you'll need also another cam in the Mercontrol to correct shift operation."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
193856.jpg
end cap cable"">
193857.jpg

parts needed to connect shift cable and correct shift operation"

Back