Logo

Stuffing box

I have a 34 tollycraft with 2

I have a 34 tollycraft with 2 454 crusaders. Direct drives. There is a leak on the starboard that I think is coming front that shaft.It is not awful but the port side has very little if any water. The starboard side of cource is the most difficult to get to so I think it was neglected by the prior owner. I also think I have a leak at the rudder. I have never replaced or adjusted a stuffing box and am unsure how to do it. I wonder if there is a site that I can go to to and print out how to do this. I think i will do any replacing when the boat comes out.

"John,

This procedure can b

"John,

This procedure can be planned out to be something that is easier than it is difficult. If you think of it as a " squeeze" type water seal, it gets the "seal" from the pressure of the packing against the wall of the shaft log and is then held in place by the lock nut. There is a cork screw type flexible shaft tool that some claim makes it easier to remove the old packing from the gland. There will probably be 4-6 complete circles of old material to remove. They are 360 degree perfect fits. The ends meet together to form the ring and as they stack, they ends are placed about 90 degrees or more apart from the previous ring. The GFO packing material has provent to be a superior packing material for our boat with v-drives and a B$TCH to get to. I believe there is a detailed read on this in one of those Boat US Don Casey sheets you find at WM. For the first time doing it...I don't know that I would do it while IN the water...BUT thats' me. I know of some who siad that they have. Sizing the material is a critical issue so I know that it was suggested to me to fit a drill bit between th shaft and the gland in order to find the correct fit. I measured my OLD stuff and it was a bit undersized for the required use. Never dripped but had to be changed last fall....Good Luck"

Back