Logo

Cooling system on a 4 hp johnson sea king

rdubb

I just aquired an older (7

I just aquired an older (70 ish) 4 hp Johnson sea king outboard motor. I got it running but I don't see any water running through any cooling system. Is this an air cooled motor or do I have a water pump issue?

"A 1970 4hp is certainly water

"A 1970 4hp is certainly water cooled but there is no telltale.
You should see some water, maybe just a few, droplets blown out with the exhaust gases from the relief port on the leg but all the cooling water really leaves under water through the main exhaust gas outlet.

Check that it not overheating. If you spit on the cylinder head and it sizzles it is definitely overheating. If you can keep a finger on there for a few seconds it isn't.

If you dont know the age of the pump impeller it would be prudent to change it.

Tell us the model number and we can tell you the exact year"

"Halfway down the long exhaust

"Halfway down the long exhaust housing, there are a few small holes of some kind. All you will see is a fine mist exiting that area.

On the port (left) transom bracket, there should be a plate with the model and serial number on it. What is the model number? With this number, we can pinpoint exactly what engine you have.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back