Logo

Oil suggestions for Chrysler M360

bjorn1

I would very much appreciate i

I would very much appreciate input and help as to which oil to use in my Coronet Playmate 21ft.
with a Chrysler M360 ( V8 ) Carburettor (no injection)I realize dillution is a main concern..
I am considering a semi-sythetic 5W-40 oil such as Shell Helix. What about a straight 30 weight?
Engine is from 1989...Bought this boat this spring and intend to make 2 oil changes per year
meaning spring and autumn. Thks very much in advance for your help. // Bjorn

I use regular 10W-40 with 2 ch

I use regular 10W-40 with 2 changes per season. Synthetic is good too but for the low hours I run the engine (LM318) it wouldn't be cost effective. If the straight 30 is a detergent oil it should be fine unless you run in a cold climate.

"Mine runs 35 psi warm idle an

"Mine runs 35 psi warm idle and 60 psi every other time. That's witnh 10W30. I shudder to think of hte damage being done to the oil pump drive gearing with straight weight 30 oil.

Multi-viscosity oil is a miracle of science, so why not use it? Synthetic is a costly over kill--better at extreme high temperatures, but you don't want that to ever happen, right?

Jeff"

"Oil weight may be debatable b

"Oil weight may be debatable but I've read enough about cam failures in flat tappet engines to switch to an oil that is NOT API certified such as oils labeled 'Racing oil' or for off road use only. Some oils for diesels like Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac are a cheaper alternative and they are, in fact, recommended by Comp Cams. The supposed cause of cam failure is the reduction in zinc since most modern engines today are using roller cams."

"Correct. I bought a quart of

"Correct. I bought a quart of Lucas 'TB-Zinc-Plus' to add during the next oil change. (I got some of the old Rotella oil for the winter oil change that still had the ZDDP additive.)

This is a real outrage, folks! All of those people out there with flat tappet camshafts are in danger of rounded off cam lobes without the ZDDP, and why? 'Cause some environmental extremist group demanded that it be removed since it's a minor pollution hazard! Lets hope those bastards are driving a car with a flat tappet engine!

Jeff"

Can you say 'low flow toil

Can you say 'low flow toilets'...LOL. Minor is right...They are claiming zinc ruins catalytic converters....What?...It took them 30 yrs to figure that out?...unlikely. Soon a zinc additive maybe the best way to go because even over the road rigs are going to have converters on them starting this year and the diesel oils will also loose any of the benefits they have.

"Then God help us all, for the

"Then God help us all, for there will be rounded off camshafts across hte land.

I suggest we all stock up on ZDDP additive oil and keep it near our stash of incadescent light bulbs.

Jeff"

Many thanks for Your input.

Many thanks for Your input.
I decided to go for a semi-syntetic multi viscosity oil and chose Pennzoil 10W-40 and a new Wix Filter.I considered some other brands but this was good value for money. I will go for at least 2 changes per year since the history is more or less unknown to me.
Bjorn

"I never heard of this. I have

"I never heard of this. I have 1977 440M Chryslers with stock cams. Should I be adding this ZDDP?

Also, I have been using straight 40w oil (Auto Zone store brand). I chose this based on my last boat having a Marine power 350 sport pac that had a revised recommendation for straight 40w oil. Should I use something else?

Thanks for advice."

I never have much to contribut

I never have much to contribute but what i have learnt by reading the posts is priceless Thank Jon.

Back