Logo

Look out Here comes gasahol

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
"In Maryland, where I boat, al

"In Maryland, where I boat, all gas sold in the state will contain ethanol starting this summer. And boy does that P*ss me off! Not only will that reduce gas mileage (and we really need that with the present gas prices), the fuel tanks will have water problems like crazy. (Alcohol has an affinity for water, so it will suck it in through the vents.) Finally--and if there wasn't enough to b*tch about--alcohol tends to attack certain rubber components that were never intended for gasahol--like carb and fuel pump parts. My marina is already warning people to think about changing their fuel filters on a regular basis.

Thanks farm lobbists and environmental whackos!

Jeff"

I hear ya Jeff!!!

They trie

I hear ya Jeff!!!

They tried that in Alaska for a couple years! Then they found out the cold weather in combination with the gasahol was creating more pollution and causing numerous other mechanical problems! So they stopped the program!

Fight the enviro Whackos!!!!!

"Try it, my friend, and you&#3

"Try it, my friend, and you'll end up beating your head on a stone wall. Not sure how those nutsos became so powerful in this country, but we're stuck with them.

Jeff

PS: Great article on gasahol in htelatest 'Seaworthy' (Boat U S) magazine. Basically, it says big trouble is a comin' for those with fiberglass fuel tanks."

Oh My God I heard today they a

Oh My God I heard today they are bringing back Gasahol for the summer in Alaska....They still haven't learned!!!!!They have proven that fuel economy goes down up to 15%. ARG

I already have a scar on my forhead so beating my head against a wall doesn't sound like fun.!!!

"Check this out (from a we

"Check this out (from a web site that recommends ethanol fuel--I'd hate to read about it from somebody who hates it!)

If a car is converted to ethanol it will clean out the gunk left over from the gasoline and plug the fuel filter. Conversion to alcohol necessitates replacement of the fuel filter within 400 to 600 miles.

Ethanol has a tendency to release any trapped rust or gasoline fuel gum or residue, which can cause the fuel filter to become blocked. Once replaced, life expectancy of the new fuel filter should be normal, barring an exceptionally dirty gas tank or fuel system.

Because ethanol contains less energy than gasoline, fuel economy will be reduced.

Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of ethanol may corrode metal and rubber parts in older engines (pre-1988) designed primarily for gasoline. The hydroxyl group on the ethanol molecule is an extremely weak acid, but it can enhance corrosion for some natural materials. For post-1988 fuel-injected engines, all the components are already designed to accommodate E10 (10% ethanol) blends through the elimination of exposed magnesium and aluminium metals and natural rubber and cork gasketed parts.

Anhydrous ethanol in the absence of direct exposure to alkali metals and bases is non-corrosive; it is only when water is mixed with the ethanol that the mixture becomes corrosive to some metals. Operation with more than 10% ethanol has never been recommended by car manufacturers in vehicles not designed for it.

Operation on up to 20% ethanol is generally considered safe for all post 1988 cars and trucks. Starting in 2010, at least one US state (Minnesota) already has legislatively mandated and planned to force 20% ethanol into their general gasoline fuel-distribution network, despite exceeding the manufacturer's maximum warranted operation for no more than 10% of ethanol in fuel.

In addition to corrosion, there is also a risk of increased engine wear for engines not specifically designed for operation on greater than 10% ethanol. The risk primarily occurs when the fuel becomes contaminated with water. (Think ‘marine’.) Contamination of 1% water causes phase separation of the ethanol/ water mixture from the gasoline.

For a badly water contaminated fuel. the ethanol and water mixture separates from gasoline, causing considerable engine wear since ethanol and water will produce formic acid. Water-contaminated ethanol also produces acetaldehyde and acetic acid, but formic acid is responsible for the rapid increase in engine wear.

Frequent oil changes, using a oil formulated as an acid neutralizer, is necessary to prevent the damage of oil-lubricated engine parts in the event of water contamination. Such lubricant oil is required by at least one manufacturer (Chrysler) to prevent excessive engine wear.

Jeff"

I wonder if some Marvel Myster

I wonder if some Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel would help counter the corrosive effect of the alcohol.

"I recieved word about a month

"I recieved word about a month ago and checked it out my self ,ethanol will eat the inside of "glass tanks,there by causing MAJOR full system problems,as you can imagine!Be advised,I believe the intel came from REGULATOR boats"

"Yes, there is already another

"Yes, there is already another thread specifically refering to the effect on the resin in fiberglass fuel tanks. A serious problem. Articles about it have been appearing in boat related publications."

Back