Logo

Cleaning throttle body

wbertot

Contributing Member
I can not find in my SELOC man

I can not find in my SELOC manual the proper procedure for cleaning out the throttle body on my '03 5.0 GXi-B.

Can someone shed some light on the best way to do this.

"Walter,

Are you doing a co

"Walter,

Are you doing a complete overhaul of the TB, ie. teardown, gasket kit, etc, or are you just looking for PM? If you are doing a teardown your best best is to soak the TB in a gallon jug of carb cleaner overnight before rebuilding. If you are doing PM then I would recommend an aerosol can of carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Be careful though, some EFI sensors do not agree with carb cleaner. Look for a carb cleaner that says "sensor safe".

As a side note, 'cleaning' your TB only frees the throat from carbon buildup. You may also want to run some injector cleaner through your system to keep your injectors operating efficiently. I am a fan of the Lucas products."

"Mike,

Just the answers I w

"Mike,

Just the answers I was looking for, thank you.

This is just for PM. I will look for the sensor safe cleaners since I have EFI. An injector cleaner is also going in.

Thank you!"

"Mike,

I got the lucas oil

"Mike,

I got the lucas oil @ NAPA today. How often do you recommend I use this stuff?

Also is it ok for cleaner to go into the throttle body as i clean?

Thanks

Walter"

"I have a 120 gallon tank onbo

"I have a 120 gallon tank onboard my boat. When I run it down to about a 1/2 tank I add the gas treatment and run it for a good 7-10 hours before I refill. This ensures a good concentration of additive in the system.

I would try the same approach, adding the correct amount at a 1/2 tank and running it through for awhile."

"I know... I close my eyes whe

"I know... I close my eyes when I head to the fuel dock....
uhoh.gif
"

Back