Logo

OMC 20 Liter Sea Drive 4 cly

earlydawn

"Hello folks,
Been on the Joh

"Hello folks,
Been on the Johnson side for great help and now a proud owner...I think...of an OMC 2.0 4 floater 1990. Been garaged for last two years. Power Trim stopped working last time out. Had been serviced prior to. Where do I start?? Service manual location? Specs on engine? What size is it anyway. Yea I know, sounds dumb but it's a beginnig. Your help is always appreciated. Thanks"

Thanks...it's a 1990. Whe

Thanks...it's a 1990. Where's the best place to get a good service manual?

As always..thanks for the help. German site for the model number?

Bob...can't thank you enou

Bob...can't thank you enough for the manual link. I have searched ebay and everywhere for a good service manual with no luck. Did you use a more refined search? Anyway...it's ordered. Do you think it would be a bad idea to try to start this motor since it's been garaged for two years? I am concerned about old gas being left in the system? I was going to remove carbs and clean them...drain both fuel tanks of old fuel before trying to start it.

By the way...if that's a picture of your boat...she's a nice one!

Appreciate your time to help.

"Lester...glad you were able t

"Lester...glad you were able to get that manual, suspect they are pretty rare these days. I have that guy's site bookmarked as he does try to sell original manuals so I thought I'd check him out for you and there it was!

I would pull the plugs and look at them, probably squirt some oil in there and if possible turn it over by hand a few times first to lube the cylinders, who knows if it was winterized? I would also try and get as much of the old gas out first and if it runs like crap you'll probably still have to pull the carbs and clean them.

ps...yes that's my boat where I try to spend some quality time during the summer, not too happy about the price of gas this year though
sad.gif
(has a pair of 460's in it)"

"Hi Bob, you say that 'you

"Hi Bob, you say that 'you are not to happy about the price of gas this year'. Can you beleive that we are paying around £1.20p for a litre hear in UK. Thats roughly $2.4. No joke I can tell you.
angry.gif
. It makes for an expensive day out on the water."

"Hi Pat....I hear you, you poo

"Hi Pat....I hear you, you poor guys have been paying through the nose over there for a long time (of course that's why you make the big $$$)
lol.gif

I think everyone is going to hurt some this year
sad.gif
"

"I think you are right there B

"I think you are right there Bob.Our comercial fishing boys are really starting to feel it too. They have always paid tax free Red Deisel. Now they are talking about abolishing that to. Where will it all end? Oh well, no good getting gloomy about it, summer is just starting and my Donzi project boat that I have been working on for the last 9 months is just about ready for the sea. Thanks again for all your help, the engine is running sweet and the Cobra shifts with one finger as it should. Cant wait to launch now
rain.gif
. Typical British weather tho just as Im ready it starts raining again. No change there
talker.gif
. Chin up old chap."

Bob....ordered the manual but

Bob....ordered the manual but recieved a email saying my 2.0 liter is not included...great...thats going to do me some good!! Said I can return it if its not what I wanted..guess I am still looking for a service manual for the 2.0...any more ideas?

Les

Bob...the seller emailed me st

Bob...the seller emailed me stating that the lowest Liter is 2.3 on a CD....not a manual even though it is clearly show...I sent another email to him saying they are offering a hard copy service manual for 2.0 thru 4.0 DG OMC and what's up with this! I do not expect to get what I want from him unless someone made a mistake...if not...they should remove the post. Not happy in VA...hard to work on an engine without the book...don't know what to do now.

Bob...MarineEngine.com allows

Bob...MarineEngine.com allows me to order the manual from them for $85...but not sure if they really have it...after checking what I already ordered I guess I will call them to make sure.

"$85...ouch! I guess if it&#

"$85...ouch! I guess if it's the real deal then it probably worth it? Hope you get it, I know what you mean about working on it without the manual and really no one around with any experience....good luck! Let us know how you make out."

"Bob,

Turned out that someo

"Bob,

Turned out that someone else had responded back to me after I had made the order. I got the maunal and now am my way to working on the engine. I will let you know how things progress..will probably need more help but first things first.

Thanks,
Les"

"Hey Bob,
Picked up the boat.

"Hey Bob,
Picked up the boat. Started going over electrical. I knew the trim wasn't working when I bought it...clicks when holding button up or down usually indicating bad connection. Checked wiring...cleaned battery cables...cleaned both trim relay connections...took apart double pin connection that according to manual goes to trim motor (black/green wires)...contacts green and corroded..would like to replace the connection but have no idea where to get double pin male \female connector. Its a 50amp line so just adding a straight connection without the insolater is probably a bad idea. Another issue...both gas tanks full...fuel has been sitting for two years or more...don't know if stabilizer was added...can I add octane booster and stabilizer and use? If it works in my lawn mower I would think it would be ok in boat. Will replace gas filter and again if I run this gas through. Don't want to waste 64 gallons. Thanks..Les"

Another question to go with th

Another question to go with the one last posted....there appears to be a plastic insert which I assume is the screen for the water intake which is shot in the lower unit...do I need to replace it or can it be run without? Is this a major job to replace the screen? The manual doesn't show it or I just haven't found it yet.

Les

Probably no point in adding an

Probably no point in adding any stabilizer now but if it runs in the lawnmower I guess it could be ok. It would be good to replace that screen just to help prevent the pump from something big up and possibly getting stuck in the water tube. I wonder if something similar off an outboard would fit? Can't find any parts info for these online.

"Hey Bob,
Found the intake sc

"Hey Bob,
Found the intake screen and a water pump rebuild kit since I have to put a new screen in. Do I need to disconnect anything before unbolting the lower unit gear case or will everything drop down and out to replace pump and screen? The manual is not clear about it.

Thanks,
Les"

Lester...I'm not real sure

Lester...I'm not real sure if there is a shift linkage to undo but I'm sure once you begin to drop the lower it will become obvious if there is anything that is going to hang you up...good luck!

Back